You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Differential oil change

After the recent post about rear gear failure I thought it might be time to change that oil in my 93 coach. I had inintended to refill it with Mobil 1 75W90, then when I checked the Arvinmeritor site I found that oil was not on the approved list of oils though a companion oil Mobil Delvac Syngear was on the list. I donknow what makes the latter different. Other commonly available approved oils were Syn-Gear by Castrol and Valvoline HD Synthetic Gear EP.

IT seems there is a bit of a surprise and some learning every time I go to do something.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks Jon, I have added that information to my parts list.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

"IT seems there is a bit of a surprise and some learning every time I go to do something."

I could have said that ! ! !

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I got Castrol Syngear on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-37507-Syn...ol+syngear

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hmmm, I called Newell and they recommended Mobil 1 75w90.....
I am not familiar with the ArvinMeritor site. Is there something I should check out?.....I really don't want to change it again......!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Arvinmeritor is the successor to Rockwell. I used their website to see what was recommended.

I may have had Mobil 1 in it based upon a label indicating their products were installed at the factory.

I put Mobil 1 in the 77 coach I used to have and I saw no evidence that it was creating any problems. In fact, the few times I crawled under the coach while on the road the "pumpkin" seemed cooler that with the original 140 oil.

If I had put Mobil 1 in my 93 as you have done there is no way I would drain it, I would use it. I have not looked at the specs of the Delvac and Mobil 1 to see if there is any difference but that could be a worthy research just to sooth the mind.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed