You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grapevine I5 - Pothole Situation

Hi we are traveling to the Santa Barbara area and heard that the potholes on the Grapevine can swallow small cars whole. Has anyone been through there recently? If we should avoid it what route would you recommend? We are starting from Red Bluff, Ca and so if we should take a different route please let us know.

Thanks,
Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, I would recommend taking HWY 101 south from the Bay Area.....a much more enjoyable ride, and much, much better road surface. I-5 south of Bakersfield is horrible with a capital "H".

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Les,
We came down the 101 from north this summer. Not bad, there were some areas with construction,but not bad. Not sure that I would use the Grapevine from where you are.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Thanks for the advice. What about Hwy 1 near Santa Barbara - is that okay? We need to get to Ventura.

(10-29-2012, 07:58 AM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Les, I would recommend taking HWY 101 south from the Bay Area.....a much more enjoyable ride, and much, much better road surface. I-5 south of Bakersfield is horrible with a capital "H".

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

HWY 101 will take you right to Ventura.....HWY 1 would be a much slower, difficult drive....

(10-29-2012, 08:32 AM)les korcala Wrote:  Thanks for the advice. What about Hwy 1 near Santa Barbara - is that okay? We need to get to Ventura.

(10-29-2012, 07:58 AM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Les, I would recommend taking HWY 101 south from the Bay Area.....a much more enjoyable ride, and much, much better road surface. I-5 south of Bakersfield is horrible with a capital "H".

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Les,
No I would not recommend Route 1. It is very narrow and windy. It also may instigate a Divorce! Stay on 101 South and then you may need a short Rout 1 North, but make it short and where the 101 and 1 are the same, just my humble opinion.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

There are many areas on Highway 1 and other highways where semis and 45' coaches are prohibited. Those areas can be found online and I have a listing available on my computer when traveling in California.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Les, just looked at the maps again. At Santa Barbara you will be on 101 and it is a good road. further north is PCH and I would not recommend that. Just stay on 1001 and you should be fine.
Where are you going?