You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aquahot Mixer Valve

We picked up our coach 3 days ago, Thursday 10-12-2016, as being new to us! :-) We are in Grove, OK only 30 minutes south of Newell. Our first problem seems to be limited hot water. The aquahot is showing around 200 degrees, and I feel plenty of heat coming out of the aquahot and some pipes are warm, so I think it is working OK. I tested the galley sink turning off the cold valve, then hot water valve. They seem to be functioning properly with similar water flows on both hot and cold, but hot side only gets luke warm at best. I called the Newell hotline on Friday and did some troubleshooting with Dwight, and he seems to think the valve under the Webasko black box on the side of the aquahot is calcium-ed up, as I can't rotate the black knob and the aquahot side is warm whereas, the other is only luke warm. My understanding was this was a hot-cold mixing valve which maybe letting in too much cold water and not enough hot water. Dwight said the whole Webasko unit must be removed to get to the valve. Thus, I am heading to Newell tomorrow to see if they can work me in this week. Does this sound right? Any ideas on this issue?

The second issue is poor water pressure especially in the shower. The previous owner said it was never good, and I would like to increase it significantly. Do I need a larger pump or is there an adjustment?

Finally, I had the bright idea of connecting to city water which might get me higher water pressure and maybe could clear some calcium deposits if indeed that is the luke warm water issue. I developed a leak which showed itself at the base of the step up into the rear bath with wet carpeting. I could see water dripping when I looked between the rear 2 wheels. My guess was it is either the washing machine or rear shower, so I closed the valves on both and the leak stopped and I dried out the carpet. Any ideas on this one?

As a newbie your help is greatly appreciated  :-)

Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

the mixing valve is a simple one. only the burner has to come out and you dont have to even take the fuel lines off. it is just like servicing the burner. it is simple and easy. the mixing valve you can buy the whole thing for 30 bucks or so online and take the guts out and replace them to fix that. not a big deal. DO NOT unsolder it, just change the guts.

do a search on this forum for watts mixing valve and you will get part numbers and info on how to do it. not really something you need to have newell do.

the shower might just be the cartridge itself. or you might check to see if there is a valve on the valve panel in the water bay for it and if it is turned up all the way

water leaks you just have to search and find the source and fix.

unless you just want to go to newell, it sounds like things you could figure out yourself

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

as for water pressure overall, your headhunter should put out plenty of pressure. make sure you are using the 120v headhunter and not the 12v backup pump

tom

Another thing to check is turn off aqua hot and let it cool down. Then open the cap on top of the metal tank (not the plastic overflow tank) and make sure the coolant level is to the top of the neck for the cap. Might be best to replace the cap, it's a standard radiator cap available at most auto parts stores. If the coolant level is low then top it off with standard 50/50 green coolant and change the hose going to the overflow tank since that probably has been leaking air.
This along with Tom's suggestion are the most common issues for the water not getting hot enough.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

You mentioned connecting to the city water. Be sure to use a pressure regulator since many city water systems have excessive high pressure. You do not want to have both city water and your pump on at the same time. I only connect to city water to fill my tank even if I am parked for a month. That way I always know that my water tank and sewer tank are in balance.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

chester, do you not have a regulator built in right where you connect the city water hose in the water compartment? i do.

tom

I also have a built in water pressure value. I appreciate the tip about keeping fresh water and grey/black water in balance running off the tank only. That is my plan, I only hooked city water up to see if the additional water pressure might flush some of the calcium deposits out, but what it did was find the weak joint and created a leak :-(

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

mike, i emailed you my phone number,

give me a call to talk about any of this stuff as you ramp up.

tom

Chester is right on.

I have an inline regulator, but in our vintage coaches the 120V pump apparently reads a delta pressure and not an absolute one. If I forget and leave the 120V pump on when connected to city water it makes the valves in the potties jam which is not a good thing.

Remember the coaches of this area were not using the headhunters, but a grundfos pump.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I met in person with Bill Johnson today. He confirmed my thought that the Wesbasko detached with only 2 nuts that loosen and pivot to the side.

My water leak seems to disappear today as I started with only pump pressure and turn on the shower after a while with no leak, I turned on the washer with no leak. I have come to the conclusion that I must have over pressured the system with exactly what was mentioned above about city water and pump pressure at the same time. I will NOT do that again, and hopefully there was no damage. The toilet seems to be fine, so that is good also.

I also talked on the phone with Tom, it appears that I have an older headhunter pump. I still only have OK water pressure in the faucets but very low pressure in the shower. I even disconnected the shower wand hose at the base of the wall on-off valve and have poor pressure there. I traced the lines from the tank to the pump, and it does go through a clear water filter that has a filter in it that is an orange color. When Bill looked at the filter, he said it looked long in the tooth. This filter is behind the chrome plating, and seems like it might unscrew and remove from the bottom.

I will try to post pictures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn