You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8D BATTERIES

It is time for us to replace the two 8D chassis batteries. They are currently Interstate 8DMHD, They are four years old. I killed them by not keeping them fully charged. Is there a better alternative to these batteries? I don't think I am ready to invest 700.00 each  in AGM yet.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(10-18-2016, 07:39 PM)Guy Wrote:  It is time for us to replace the two 8D chassis batteries. They are currently Interstate 8DMHD, They are four years old. I killed them by not keeping them fully charged. Is there a better alternative to these batteries? I don't think I am ready to invest 700.00 each  in AGM yet.

You can get 8d agms at Orilley's Auto Parts for $440 each
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C2389

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Thank, I wasn't aware that they were available in the 400 dollar range. That makes financial sense now...

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(10-18-2016, 07:55 PM)Guy Wrote:  Thank, I wasn't aware that they were available in the 400 dollar range. That makes financial sense now...

Made by Deka/East Penn so looks like the same battery, [same specs], as the high dollar name brand ones.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

Hmmm. I don't use AGM's for chassis batteries. The last two I bought from Sam's Club were around 200.

I don't worry about the cross charging issues of mixing two different battery types since I have my coach setup that I only charge the house batteries from the alternator IF I use the merge switch.

AGM's work as chassis batteries but they are not designed specifically to work best in that use. Plain old lead acid's are the best for the high current rapid discharge that occurs during cranking.

Just my opinion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-19-2016, 05:32 AM)Richard Wrote:  Hmmm. I don't use AGM's for chassis batteries. The last two I bought from Sam's Club were around 200.

I don't worry about the cross charging issues of mixing two different battery types since I have my coach setup that I only charge the house batteries from the alternator IF I use the merge switch.

AGM's work as chassis batteries but they are not designed specifically to work best in that use. Plain old lead acid's are the best for the high current rapid discharge that occurs during cranking.

Just my opinion.

Guy, I agree with Richard.....get lead acid for the chassis....spend your money on the AGM's for the house application, especially if you plan to boondock a lot.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(10-19-2016, 05:32 AM)Richard Wrote:  Hmmm. I don't use AGM's for chassis batteries. The last two I bought from Sam's Club were around 200.

Just my opinion.
The agms from O'rilleys are start batteries that are built heavy enough that they make good house batteries also.
If you have been to any auto parts store lately, you will find many manufacturers are now making agm start batteries with the same specs as regular wet cell batteries. 
Foretravel has been using agm start batteries in their coaches for 25 years.
The charging parameters of agm and wet cell batteries are close enough, that separate charging voltages are not required.

My opinion also.

Since truckers are using more battery power for running stuff while parked with the engine off there are new batteries being produced that blur the line between what we refer to as "house" batteries and regular starting batteries. Size 31 batteries of this sort are mass produced and since 3 of them match a pair of 8D's they may be a cheaper alterative if you can fit them in the space available. I think size 31 is the scommon truck size I checked out but now I can't locate the reference document. Still, the technology applies and you can check it out at your battery supplier.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

But won't the hybrids still die early if you discharge them fully vs deep cycle batteries?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

An 8D is 20.75 x 11 x 11 inches. A 31 Group battery is 12.9 x 6.75 x 9.27 so they are too wide to fit 2 side by side and to long to fit 2 lengthwise. I guess you could fit 1 Group 31 at a 90 degree angle to the other one and get 2 Group 31's in the space of a single 8D.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com