You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash Leveling switch wiring

I'm hoping that someone here is familiar and/or has a wiring schematic for the early 90's dash switches that operate/control the air leveling system. Also, in the 2nd picture where the wires are tied together, are those little bulbs some kind of fuse?
Again, thanks for all help in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It appears you have the Newell built manual air leveling system rather than the automatic HWH system. Obviously, the orange with black stripe wires going to the center of each switch are power in. The wires leaving each switch operate the up on one post or down on the other post solenoids for the appropriate six pack.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Could you post a picture of the switches from the front side? Many of the leads are siamesed, having the labels from the front would make it easier to sketch a schematic.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The "little bulbs" are diodes.  When the coils on the valves are turned off ,  there is a spike of voltage as the magnetic field collapses.   These diodes help preserve the switches from the spikes.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(10-23-2016, 11:00 AM)Richard Wrote:  Could you post a picture of the switches from the front side? Many of the leads are siamesed, having the labels from the front would make it easier to sketch a schematic.

I'm mainly interested in the wiring to/from the auto/manual switch.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-23-2016, 03:14 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  The "little bulbs" are diodes.  When the coils on the valves are turned off ,  there is a spike of voltage as the magnetic field collapses.   These diodes help preserve the switches from the spikes.

In that bundle there were wires connected without a diode, so could that cause any issues that I should keep a lookout for?

I wonder if that switch is an auto/level or just a switch to turn the leveling system on?
I didn't think the pre-HWH leveling systems had an auto function?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I m going to think out loud here for second. Matching the dash picture with the underneath picture identifies which switch is what. So that makes the switch in the lower left corner the master switch. I am going to assume that master raises or lowers all four corners simultaneously.

The diodes are the key to understanding how this could work. Let's just focus on the up motion for the discussion. The down motion will have the same logic just wired to down solenoids and the other side of the switches.

For the Master up to raise all four corners it must be electrically connected to all four raise solenoids. However this connection would also mean that any of the individual corner switches when activated would power all four up solenoids. The way to prevent this is the use of the diodes. So the siamesed wire that connects the individual switch to the master switch has a diode on it to keep the power from the individual switch from passing to the other three solenoids.

I am going to guess that you have another bundle or two of these diodes buried in the rats nest.

Here is what I can make out from the pictures on wiring coloring.
Orange/black is 12V +
Brown is RF up
Grey is RF down
Black is LF up
White is LF down
Blue/white RR up
Yellow/? is RR down
Orange/white is LR up
Black/? is LR down
Red goes to travel solenoids

Hope this helps. And looking for input from the electrically inclined gurus. I'm a plumber not an electrician.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-24-2016, 06:26 AM)Richard Wrote:  I m going to think out loud here for second. Matching the dash picture with the underneath picture identifies which switch is what. So that makes the switch in the lower left corner the master switch. I am going to assume that master raises or lowers all four corners simultaneously.

The diodes are the key to understanding how this could work. Let's just focus on the up motion for the discussion. The down motion will have the same logic just wired to down solenoids and the other side of the switches.

For the Master up to raise all four corners it must be electrically connected to all four raise solenoids. However this connection would also mean that any of the individual corner switches when activated would power all four up solenoids. The way to prevent this is the use of the diodes. So the siamesed wire that connects the individual switch to the master switch has a diode on it to keep the power from the individual switch from passing to the other three solenoids.

I am going to guess that you have another bundle or two of these diodes buried in the rats nest.

Here is what I can make out from the pictures on wiring coloring.

Brown is RF up
Grey is RF down
Black is LF up
White is LF down
Blue/white RR up
Yellow/? is RR down
Orange/black is LR up
Black/? is LR down

Hope this helps. And looking for input from the electrically inclined gurus. I'm a plumber not an electrician.

So that could explain why the green/black stripe wire from the top of the master switch is connected to that bunch without a diode?

(10-24-2016, 05:35 AM)folivier Wrote:  I wonder if that switch is an auto/level or just a switch to turn the leveling system on?
I didn't think the pre-HWH leveling systems had an auto function?

According to what I read in the limited owners manual, that switch is to switch from 'auto' to 'manual' leveling mode. But, if it's not in "auto" mode when the coach is traveling, apparently it'll explode - so says the PO.