You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cruisair RVAC PC board

The 

We have the Cruisair RVAC central system in our coach. Have had continued trouble with the board and have sent it to Flight Systems 4 times. They continue to try and keep it pieced together but it never last and fails again. We are now searching for another board.

The techs at Flight Systems advised that Newell has sent a number of boards in for repair and that it may be possible you have one we could acquire. We need part# 305-2547 for the dual compressor unit.

We had to opportunity to meet many of you at the rally in Ruidoso and hope to see you again soon.The unit in functioning with jumpers by-passing the board, but I need a more permanent solution.

Thanks
Raymond Norris

Raymond,

What year is your coach? I don't recognize the name "Cruisair". Many of us have SCS dual ACs in the basement. I have two double units.

You can call the factory and ask if they have any boards left, but I suspect they don't. There is no source for new boards and the used board (even rebuilt) supply is dwindling.

I dont want to speak for Newell, but I know that they have investigated using other basement AC systems, but have not found a viable solution to our coaches. (I would have long ago swapped out my basement AC units if a reasonable alternative was available).

Can you elaborate on the four failures? I have never heard of a "repaired" board failing a second time.

As you may know there was a design flaw in the boards whereby the current passed through the circuit board traces was in excess to what the board could carry. I had a spectacular failure on one board which resulted in a small fire. As a result I installed a set of high current relays which eliminated the source of the problem.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but finding another board is gonna be a difficult proposition. Maybe talk to some of the RV salvage companies.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Raymond,

Do you mean that you have the SCS HVAC system? What year is your coach?

Can you take a picture of the board and post it?

Do you know what is failing on the board?

The most common cause of failures on the SCS boards is that the compressor current runs through the board. The gurus have a fix for that. But's lets confirm what system you have first.

Kind of chuckling cause Bill and I posted virtually the same reply at the same time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That's cause everything I learned about my AC, I learned from Richard. Smile

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Guys for the input. As you said I did communicate with Tommy Kee at Newell and they are also sending boards in for repair but do not have any extra or a source for available boards. I just thought since most of you guys are like me and are gearheads that Iwould take a chance that someone had run accross a similar issue and knew where or may have a old unit with the board still in it that could be scavenged.

Anyway to eloborate on the continueing failures, the board has some solder flow issues that appear to be intermitent. One appeared after the last repair when the bosrd was slightly toqured. I have spoken with the tech at Flight Systems and he said he would try to reflow as as many of the runs as he could and perhaps that would do the job. in bench testing, the components have not failed, however when it is reinstalled it still didnt work after the last try. The one before worked for about four weeks then failed again. The good news is, it fails on the bench test too, so maybe, just maybe they will eventually get fixed. and by the way, the re-repairs are warranted.

Thanks again for all the input..
Ray

Richard and Bill, will it be easy for you to post the part numbers for the relays and is there a wiring schematic available? While parked this winter I would very much like to install the bypasses.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Here you go.   http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...hlight=SCS

This schematic is courtesy of Mark Fincke. He did a pro job of drawing it out      

I used these relays.  https://www.mcmaster.com/#definite-purpo...s/=14w52m6  25 amp contacts, and make sure you get 120V control voltage. You can probably find them cheaper.

Bill may still have the bill of materials he used when he built his setup.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Raymond,

Can you help us help you. Cruiseairs were not normally used on Newells. I am not saying that is not what you have. Newell could have used Cruiseairs as an experiment or someone could have retrofitted them to your coach. Our experience is with SCS units.

Can you confirm whether you have a Cruiseair or SCS unit?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Here is my receipt.  It shows the little metal boxes that the relays mount to.

I used a rivet gun to connect the relays to the bottom of the box.

Richard found these 3 port screw type connectors at Lowes and they keep you from using wire nuts which can come loose in time.

I also attached the original wiring diagram so you can see how it was originally wired.

Finally, it is worth noting that I have had this setup for about a year. It has been absolutely rock solid in that time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Richard and Bill. Just what I needed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica