You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Safe or no safe?

When I bought this coach, the PO said it had no safe, which I thought unusual but took him at his word.  Then today, I was looking at the original plan and noticed there was a safe designated, at least in the plans, under the entry step.  
When I replaced the carpet under the step cover, I remember there is a safe sized steel box in that area, but I didn't notice any openings, then again, I wasn't looking for one either. 
So, if there is a safe there, was that a standard location for classic Newell safe's, and/or can anyone tell me where the access point is?

Typically the safe was under the bed or under the step. There is typically a metal cover with a finger sized hole in it that covers the top of the safe. Remove it and there is a key lock.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

yup, i found the safe in my 90 in the step on accident. i had a locksmith come and open it and he did in about 30 seconds. mine had a round key

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My last few coaches the safe was in the rear closet

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Mine also is in the rear closet.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Mine is in the floor in front of the passenger seat.....it has a combination lock.....no key. My Newell owners manual had the combination in it.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Well after much chipping and scraping I found it. There's no key and the phone number listed on the safe is no longer in service, but I'm sure it won't be too hard since they were nice enough to leave the key number stamped on the door.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hard to believe it got covered over like that. Hopefully when you get it open it will have a lot more in it than Al Capone's safe did when Geraldo opened it! Our's had a stash of gold coins worth about 300K. That is until we got it opened and they all vanished into a whisp of air as the safe lid was lifted open. But it was nice to think we had a cool treasure stash while we were able to!

That looks like Bondo.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-18-2016, 11:14 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Hard to believe it got covered over like that.  Hopefully when you get it open it will have a lot more in it than Al Capone's safe did when Geraldo opened it!  Our's had a stash of gold coins worth about 300K.  That is until we got it opened and they all vanished into a whisp of air as the safe lid was lifted open.  But it was nice to think we had a cool treasure stash while we were able to!

Ya, I was thinking it might be full of cash and jewelry as long as I just don't open it.