You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Propane Leak

I have a full propane tank.  Detected a very slight leak at the main Rego style valve.  It seems to be the valve stem packing.  Has anyone changed the stem packing without releasing the contents of the tank.  It would seem that by removing the stem handle "wheel", and removing the packing nut with the valve shut off, one might be able to replace the packing.  Not sure if this is possible, or where to get new packing.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Rooster

Easy enough to check. Close the valve and loosen the packing nut. Put soapy water on and see if it leaks.

Take out the old packing and head to Lowes/Home Depot plumbing department.

Or this place http://www.centuryfuelproducts.com/brand...-forklifts

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks. I'll check it out this morning. Rooster

On my previous 77 coach I had a similar leak. Talking with my propane service company I was advised not to try to replace the stem packing as it is seldom successful and could be hazardous. I had the tank pumped out and installed a new valve. This was not difficult nor expensive. The propane was recovered.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Is the leak apparent when the valve is fully opened or fully closed? I think unless the valve is fully tightened either open or closed it might leak.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Picked up a new valve and when I have used up the propane, I will install the new unit. Seems not to leak when opened fully. P

These valves are designed to be fully open or fully closed. The seal when open is, I believe, a disk on the stem that seats against the seal on the body. If this is the arrangement, and my coolant taps work the same, the stem seal only works in the full open position. So, if your leak was with the valve partially open you may have had only an operator problem - been there and done that one.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed