You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tag axle vs non tag

How much does a tag axle improve the ride quality? I'm trying to decide whether to get an RV with or without a tag. I'm wondering how the tag can have a major difference in the ride quality. All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Tag axle is not so much for ride quality as it is for increased weight capacity and braking. In my opinion air ride suspension is far superior to spring suspension in ride quality.

Not so much ride quality, but a tag axle rig will be less likely to move around when passing or passed by a big truck.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Agree with both Clint and Richard. Having had both, the directional stability of coaches with tag axles is improved. Air suspension is the key to a luxury ride. Tags are added by the manufacturer to allow extra weight to be carried. Newell hasn't made a coach without a tag axle in over 20 years. #428, a 38'2" 1996 was the last Newell built without a tag that I am aware of. #374, a 37'8" 1995 was the next to the last non-tag Newell. #366, a 38'2" 1994 was likely the only 1994 model without a tag axle. Prior to 1994, non-tag Newells were more common. Due to weight restrictions, I am unaware of any Newell built after 1990 that was 40' or longer built without a tag axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Pro to non tags is 2 less tires to buy, 2 less bearing to oil, 2 less brakes and 2 less air bags to maintain.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I LOVE the look of mine with the tag axle. It is very stable on the road when semis pass.
However the non tag version of my coach has a little more storage.

As for me, the improved stability while driving is worth whatever the tags cost in lost storage & increased maint cost.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

coach 366 does not have a tag axle. Paul

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

Thanks Paul, I typed "with" instead of "without". I have corrected my post.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It's a fact that tags are better for weight distribution, as i worry about our coach#428 being over loaded. I am still amazed,as i pass a semi-truck, as to how minimal wind shear we experience! Great engineered unit no doubt!
Russ

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
2015 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers