You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power in storage

I have found a local indoor storage facility, that the owner says has 3 Prevost and 1 Newell already stored there. The problem and question I have is around power. He said they supply a 50amp plug but only supply 20amps per circuit. Obviously, that will not run a air conditioner, but I thought I might run a portable dehumidifier since I am in the panhandle of Florida. However, I am wondering it that configuration will run my refrigerator and inverter/charger? Are both of those on the same leg, or can the system auto sensor somehow? The price is $200 per month less expensive than what I am paying now, so would like to male this work.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(12-05-2016, 08:15 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  I have found a local indoor storage facility, that the owner says has 3 Prevost and 1 Newell already stored there. The problem and question I have is around power. He said they supply a 50amp plug but only supply 20amps per circuit. Obviously, that will not run a air conditioner, but I thought I might run a portable dehumidifier since I am in the panhandle of Florida. However, I am wondering it that configuration will run my refrigerator and inverter/charger? Are both of those on the same leg, or can the system auto sensor somehow? The price is $200 per month less expensive than what I am paying now, so would like to male this work.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

I have a portable dehumidifier,  draws 6 amps while running, figure about the same for your fridge, {if residential] and maybe 1 for your charger. You should be okay. Just remember if these items are on your inverter circuit, you could have a problem if you lose shore power for a while. It does not matter what leg the loads are on, if his power supply is properly wired.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

I agree with Jim. It will work.

I also agree with his caveat. If the building loses power, the inverter will run until the Low Battery Cut Off turns off the inverter because of low voltage on the house bank.

I don't know what kind of inverter/charger you have, but many can be easily set for the available amperage. It is not an automatic adjustment and must be done manually. And must be undone manually when you leave storage and have real 50 amp service.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Coach #530 here. Probably have a very similar setup as you do.
I run a progressive industries EMS with a remote display I watch like a hawk.
I see current on each split phase as well as voltage and Hz.
Just a couple things for you to think about.

You will need to set the "power sharing" on your inverter/charger to a low value. I would choose the lowest, 5 amps.
Since it is in storage and not actively monitored, things may happen about which you will be unaware. The building or your branch circuit may lose power for an undetermined amount of time. For that reason I would not leave any food in the frig.
I would disable the defrosting of the refrigerator. If the door stays closed you should not have much to defrost when you remove from storage. This eliminates the fairly large draw of the defrost heater.

I think I would turn the inverter off. I just don't see the benefit of leaving it on and risking a deep discharge of the house batteries and still have the possibility of the refrigerator warming up. Just some thoughts...... Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I have an additional question re long term storage. Is there damage to the air bags if the coach is left for several months with air bags deflated and no air? I am thinking about leaving mine in covered storage in Arizona rather than running the risk of a breakdown while driving it to and from my home in Mexico.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester I don't know if this would be helpful or not but I have two 12 X12" blocks of wood that are cut to about 1' lower that complete raised height to go under the front skid rails and I also have a 3 foot long piece that is 12 X 12" to go under the rear receiver.  I have had a leak that I have been unable to locate and have had my coach come down on these pieces where the coach is completely suspended.  I don't know whether or not this would be good for long term but certainly work for me short term.
I feel that letting the air bags all the way down would not hurt if the bags do not rub the top mounting flanges.  When I had my two front bags replace by Newell they ground the flanges down where they do not rub.  The old air bags had been rubbing and was starting to wear a hole in one of the bags.  I do not let my coach all the way down.  If I am not level I level it manually.
Also when I am working under the coach I also use a 20 ton jack in addition to the wood blocks.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I should have mentioned that this will be where I store the coach when not in use. It is about 10 miles from my house and I would plan to check on it weekly, bi-weekly at the longest. Do all the above still apply?

I would like to keep the refrig going, but probably only condiments inside, and nothing in the freezer. My thought was to plumb the dehimidifier to drain into the sink with an empty waste tank. The site does have a dump so easy to make sure the tank stays low.

I think I have a heart inverter. So, I need to reprogram it when I arrive and when I leave?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Mike,

I like the idea of leaving the refrig on. I might suggest you leave one bottle of water in the freezer and two bottles of water in the refrig section. Allowing the cold stored in the water to keep the air space cool will extend the interval between the compressor feeling the need to cool the air space again.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(12-06-2016, 06:46 PM)Trainer Wrote:  Mike,

I like the idea of leaving the refrig on.  I might suggest you leave one bottle of water in the freezer and two bottles of water in the refrig section.  Allowing the cold stored in the water to keep the air space cool will extend the interval between the compressor feeling the need to cool the air space again.

Agree, I always did that on my boat, and will do now as well. Good call out!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Reconsidering, I might turn off both battery banks, run an 110 volt extension cord into coach and plug 
fridge and dehumidifier into it, and turn inverter/charger off. Worst case scenario, nasty catsup and damp coach.
If you are checking every week, you can plug in main shorepower and turn on inverter/charger and close merge switch
to charge both banks for a while to keep them up if nec.
If you run dehumidifier drain into sink or shower, just open your grey water overboard valve and water will just go outside on the
ground. Newells are built pretty tight, In south texas in the winter, I am only getting about 5 gal a week.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne