You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Left side of coach leaning??

I have a 2003 45'Quad with Valid slides and Trueline leveling system.  After several months of sitting in storage i went to coach to drive this weekend and when in travel mode, the coach was leaning to the left both front and rear.  The right side appeared to be riding fine and level in normal travel position.  We ended up driving around 80-90 miles and it still never came to level (to the same height as) on the left side.  After parking a coach for several months, do you need to turn the leveling system off and restart the system in either the level or travel modes?  Or is this a solenoid problem?  If so, where might i purchase the solenoids and can I replace and install or do i need to hire someone like Newell or a mechanic to do the work?

When i returned the coach to the storage facility, I parked the coach and leveled it, the leveling system appeared to be working fine.  The coach leveled correctly with both the left and right sides leveled and appearing to be maintaining the same height.

Thanks for in advance for your comments or suggestions.

Bob and Pam Stump
2008 Newell P2000i-Coach # 1247
Port Orchard Washington

Bob,

I don't have a Trueline system, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.

Seriously, I read the manual cause I was interested. Neat system. Do you have the manual? If not it is here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...2982,d.amc

Since the system levels correctly in leveling mode, that does seem to rule out an error with one of the sensors or the computer brain. I suspect because I had this happen once, that the travel solenoid valve for the left rear may be stuck closed.

Toward the end of the manual is a section on how to force the solenoid valves open one at a time. I suggest that you force all four of the travel solenoids (one for each corner) open and observe the behavior of the coach. That will at least close in on the problem.

When the offending travel valve is identified. Force that valve open. Take a steel washer or screwdriver and see if the solenoid is magnetized. If not, check the voltage going to the solenoid, and ohm the windings of the solenoid coil. If it is magnetized you will have to disassemble the solenoid valve to unstick it, although I might try a light tap with a persuasion tool first.

Hope this helps.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Conceptually, the Valid and HWH systems operate the same when in travel mode: the travel solenoid valves must be the only ones open on the manifolds, the HCV's, height control valves, must be operating correctly, and air pressure must be available to the HCV.

There are two failures that can occur at the solenoid valves; they are not getting the electrical signal to open or they can fail to open when signaled.

There are a couple failures that can occur at the HCV's; they can lose the signal of height (the mechanical connection between the axle and the valve is disconnected), they can not be getting the necessary air supply pressure, or they can mechanically fail internally to the valve.

The question is how you figure out what is going on. My personal preference when multiple components can cause the symptoms I'm experiencing is to find a way to determine the component at fault first and then work to figure out how that component has failed. So in the situation we have here how we we determine whether it is the HCV or the manifold valving that is the problem and do that as simply as possible. Since I have two pressure gauges with attached plastic tubing and connectors, I would mount those gauges on the inlet and outlet to the left rear travel solenoid valve. I would then manually level the coach and note the pressure in the outlet line. I would then manually drop the rear of the coach and then return it to the travel mode. I would then note the pressure on the inlet and outlet sides of the travel solenoid. If the gauges read the same but are low the HCV is the guilty party and I get so spend some quality time under the coach. If the inlet pressure is higher than the outlet pressure then the solenoid valve is where I get to spend my afternoon. This process makes one assumption that I don't verify; that the HCV is getting full air pressure. The odds of that air supply becoming blocked is possible but really really small so I'm comfortable with ignoring it.

There are many paths to solving problems, this is the one that works for me.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(01-30-2017, 06:04 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,

Seriously, I read the manual cause I was interested. Neat system. Do you have the manual? If not it is here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...2982,d.amc

Since the system levels correctly in leveling mode, that does seem to rule out an error with one of the sensors or the computer brain. I suspect because I had this happen once, that the travel solenoid valve for the left rear may be stuck closed.

Toward the end of the manual is a section on how to force the solenoid valves open one at a time. I suggest that you force all four of the travel solenoids (one for each corner) open and observe the behavior of the coach. That will at least close in on the problem.

When the offending travel valve is identified. Force that valve open. Take a steel washer or screwdriver and see if the solenoid is magnetized. If not, check the voltage going to the solenoid, and ohm the windings of the solenoid coil. If it is magnetized you will have to disassemble the solenoid valve to unstick it, although I might try a light tap with a persuasion tool first.

Hope this helps.
Richard:

thanks for the link to the manual as i did not have this.  Also, thanks for your suggestions to resolve.

Bob and Pam Stump
Port Orchard Washington

(01-30-2017, 06:04 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,

Hope this helps.
Richard:

I hate to keep asking questions but where are the travel solenoids located in the coach?  Are they under the coach near the air bags?  I am headed to Newell in a couple of months(assuming i can get the coach leveling system to work and the coach does not list anymore) and will be spending a bunch of time with their technicians to understand as much about the coach as i can.  We have only had a couple of years and are just getting ready to retire and start traveling in it.  I have a lot to learn about this coach and the complexity of the Newell motor coaches.   I am continuing to read the Truline manual and the leveling system seems complicated.  Thanks for your advice and direction.

Bob and Pam Stump
Port Orchard Washington

Look under the coach under the driver in the headlight area for the front solenoids. And in the engine compartment on the passenger side up against the bulkhead wall for the rear ones.

This may help http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2914

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome Bob. And if you can make it happen try to attend the rally at Ruidoso, NM. Or even the no-rally in Alabama. That's the 2nd best way to learn your coach, spending time with other owners.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337