You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Systems

Other than Brakes and Air Bags, what else does the Air Systems run.  It looks like, doors, slides, dump tank and does the compressor have to continually keep up the air pressure?

2000 Country Coach Affinity C12
2006 VW TDI Toad
2012 Chevy Traverse 2nd Toad (When taking the "Cricket")

1994 Wellcraft Portofino 2x 3208's 

To be more precise....

interior air doors,
exterior door,
toilets,
slide seals around the slides to keep out water and critters,
and dump valve.

In addition some coaches use air to slide out the joey beds, basement freezers and basement refrigerators.

The air system is closed so once aired up it only loses air through the use of one of the above and leaks. The onboard air compressors (120V and 12V) are set to come on automatically, and turn off when the air reaches proper pressure.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Max, it depends on the model year. My 1992 only uses air for the suspension, the brakes, one air operated bay slide out tray, the slide out for the generator, the drivers seat, the passenger side waste dump valve and the cover over the stairwell. Within a couple of years, Newell added interior air doors, air operated toilets where the toilet wasn't over the waste tank and the drivers side waste dump valve. Of course when slides were introduced (beginning in 1997 after the single exception of #436 a 1996) air bladders were added for each of them. Later, the exterior air operated Bode door was added (#539 a 2000 was the first Newell with the Bode air operated door that I am aware of).

Unless you are frequently opening and closing the air doors, the compressor should not have to run very often.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

On my 93 air powers: brakes, air suspension, horn, vacuum generator for the dash heater controls, generator slide, air slide over entry steps, pocket door in bathroom, air jack for bed, and a couple rear air taps.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Interesting Jon, all the bed lifts I have seen were 12 volt electric.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Jon don't forget the driver and passenger seats. The only reason I remember that is the passenger seat air line popped off right before the last exit going into the Mobile tunnel. Talk about pucker factor, all I could think about was the brakes locking up in the tunnel! Funny how quickly your brain works when in a near panic. I was able to make that last exit and repair it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest: thanks for the reminder. Thank goodness I have not had any problems like that.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

If there is an air leak, e.g., a door step, flush valve are most capable of being manually operated until you can get it fixed?  I know a seat willl sit at lowest point and won't raise it.   Does a air seal stop the slide from going out or in? Or does it just make the seal worse? 

Interesting, I know the Gillig's I drive all have air and we have a release valve that allows us to open them manually.

2000 Country Coach Affinity C12
2006 VW TDI Toad
2012 Chevy Traverse 2nd Toad (When taking the "Cricket")

1994 Wellcraft Portofino 2x 3208's 

If the air seal fails on a slide, the slide is not sealed. If will operate just fine, but air and water can and will intrude. There are two temporary patches I know of. One is stuff the gray foam crack sealer you can buy at any Lowes into the seam, and the second is tape the seam, but use tape that is easily removable.

The potties will not flush without air.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Most air leaks manifest themselves as causing the air compressors to run more frequently to replace the air that is leaking out of the system. Catastrophic leaks can occur but are rare if one is diligent about tracking down small leaks and fixing them.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com