You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire Age ?

Hi guys, I found a flat on my tag axel after winter storage and it has a lot of cracks showing on the bulge , still a fair amount of tread but I think these tires need to go away. If this dot number is what I think it is they are relics !
DOT N34F 2N34400 Toyo ? Anyone know what these numbers mean ? Thanks Don

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

Don,
Don't know what the numbers you have mean.  If you are looking to determine the tire's age you need the four digit number like in my photo.  In my case the numbers are 1215.  Tire was manufactured in the 12th week of 2015.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The numbers you supplied look like the first part of the DOT code. Unfortunately, current regs only require the complete DOT code to be stamped on one side of the tire, so it's possible that the date portion of the code (the last 4 digits in Steve's attached photo) is on the inside wall (ugh). A lot of installers (and buyers) don't know this when they mount the tire.

How flat?
If the rim was over half way to the floor, first thing I'd do is drill a hole in the sidewall to mark that tire as ruined.
When the sidewall flexes that much, the structure of the tire is damaged. Seen it several times.

Replace it & be done with it. Dealing with the damage caused by a tire that fails at speed isn't pretty.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

If one tag tire is in that poor condition, you should most likely replace the other and/or others too. You do NOT want to have a blowout.

FMCA has a program for Michelin tires where as you can save approx. 30% on the tire costs thru any Michelin truck tire dealer.

I believe they've also added another manufacturer discount as well.Go to their website and check it out. Hope the info helps.

I suspect everyone has an opinion regarding brand of tires. I will only run Michelin. Several years ago I had both almost new Toyo tires blow on the front. One blew at 70 MPH. The thread separated on both and Toyo would not honor their warranty because it did not save the razor sharp bodies. Just my opinion.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(04-30-2017, 06:22 PM)kyleb Wrote:  How flat?
If the rim was over half way to the floor, first thing I'd do is drill a hole in the sidewall to mark that tire as ruined.
When the sidewall flexes that much, the structure of the tire is damaged. Seen it several times.

Replace it & be done with it. Dealing with the damage caused by a tire that fails at speed isn't pretty.
It was just about empty , and with the cracks and number 4400 , it's done !

Don & Linda
Coach #146

I guess it's time to move the hankooks from the front to the tag and get some decent 24.5 steering tires , the numbers tell me that these 4400 are 17 years old , wow thanks for the feed back ! Don

Don & Linda
Coach #146

(05-01-2017, 10:14 AM)macgyver Wrote:  I guess it's time to move the hankooks from the front to the tag and get some decent 24.5 steering tires , the numbers tell me that these 4400 are 17 years old , wow thanks for the feed back ! Don

Be sure you get at least a load range H steer tire.  A lot of places will say" G is fine. All the semi's run G"  Their front axle weight is a lot less than a fully loaded Newell.  We have been happy with the Yokhama tires we got last year for steer & tag.  Also request that they give you new tires with recent DOT dates.

FMCA also has a deal with Continental tires.

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/continenta...ogram.html

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR