You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

tag tire separation

I was driving through Monroe Louisiana and a semi was passing me on the left and I heard a loud bang.  so did the semi driver.  he quickly slowed down and pulled behind me.  but he didn't stop.  so I thought I must be me so I pulled over at a small truck stop in a mile or two.  checked all the tires and saw nothing wrong. 

so...drove 365 miles to bella terra in foley Alabama.  the last while I noticed a bumpiness, but I attributed it to the bump back road we were on. 

got set up at the rv park and Richard asked me if I knew that my drivers side tag tire had something horribly wrong with it. 

looked at it and there were large bumps in waves all the way around the tire.  like 1/2 to 1" high. 

the belt had separated and we were blessed and looked after or we would have had a blow out and destroyed everything. 

used Michelin advantage and coachnet and got a new tire right there in the park. 

tire did not lose air so there would have been no indication until it blew...

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Glad it didn't blow completely although belt separation isn't fun.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(05-30-2017, 11:36 AM)encantotom Wrote:  I was driving through Monroe Louisiana and a semi was passing me on the left and I heard a loud bang.  so did the semi driver.  he quickly slowed down and pulled behind me.  but he didn't stop.  so I thought I must be me so I pulled over at a small truck stop in a mile or two.  checked all the tires and saw nothing wrong. 

so...drove 365 miles to bella terra in foley Alabama.  the last while I noticed a bumpiness, but I attributed it to the bump back road we were on. 

got set up at the rv park and Richard asked me if I knew that my drivers side tag tire had something horribly wrong with it. 

looked at it and there were large bumps in waves all the way around the tire.  like 1/2 to 1" high. 

the belt had separated and we were blessed and looked after or we would have had a blow out and destroyed everything. 

used Michelin advantage and coachnet and got a new tire right there in the park. 

tire did not lose air so there would have been no indication until it blew...

tom

tom, you have to stop drifting the newell.Glad you were able to come out damage free.

1995 # 390

:-) Funny Keith! I remember reading an article in Car and Driver magazine about the Al Unser senior and their Newell. I think it was a late 80's model. They had it out in the desert of New Mexico trying to do donuts.....

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

michael has an unser coach. michael can we get you to do some donuts when we are headed out on friday?

tom

Uh-NO

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(05-30-2017, 09:30 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Uh-NO

I blew a 365/70/22.5 on the tag after I left Bella Terra. Tom pictures explains why I had no warning on the failure. I have monitors on all wheels which give pressure and temp with alarm set for high and low temp and pressure which never activated. The DOT dates on the tires were less than 4 years old.  It was like a bomb filled with nail went off which stuck in the drive tire directly in front, damage the paint, slide seal airline, and wheel well. No rubber was left on the wheel. I finally found a tire 295 and rim ($850)  to get home on. I now have gone back to 315 on tag and drive with 365 on steer only. I have installed new tires everywhere now. I will be running 125 in the steer and 130 drive and tag. From my tire experience with Cars, Karts and M/C more  problems occur form under inflating  not from to much air. Speed is important, although this tire blew when it cool and I was driving at Steve B speed  62. I had plug this tire in the past and it had been run under-inflated.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Ron, who made the tire?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Big Grin 

Ron,
Make sure the new tires you got are rated for the slower speeds Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Stay tuned. Having to replace 365's in baton rouge. Rented pickup to go get them. 430 mile round trip. Not back to tire shop yet

More details later.