You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

tag and drive e brake binding

i know that for a few years including mine, newell did something different with the emergency air brakes that causes the rear axles to bind up when leveling or un leveling.  

the first time i heard a loud air bang in the bedroom at nite i just about jumped through the roof.  

from what i have heard, they did it to give more e-brake power.  the result though is very gofy when you are leveling or retruning to ride height.  you have to take off the e-brake and the coach lurches side to side, then i put it back on quickly.  

i know i am not the only one that has this and that and it is not a problem.  

has anyone came up with a solution to it?  can you remove the ebrake from the tag?

thoughts?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,  I have tried this method after trial and error and it seems to work on HWH systems.  After extending the slides in travel mode, with the key on and the brakes set, the auto leveling is invoked.  Next turn the key to accy and release the E brake.  Just be sure you are on level ground or block the wheels really good!!  This lets the auto level work with the brakes released.  After leveling is finished, set the brakes.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

thanks gordon,

it is just goofy that we have to do this at all.

i wonder what years have this odd setup. at least from yours to mine. about 2 years.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

2003 for sure!

I do what Gordon does...but now I mostly just park it and leave the leveling alone. (I guess I look for level spots to park the coach).

The effect is most annoying when I lose air pressure at night and the coach wants to set down but the e-brake is holding it up. Makes a terrible noise.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I think I had that happen during the night for the first time since buying the coach this week. I was awakened to small creeking sounds. When I investigated the level red light was flashing and it was trying to relevel. I turned on the key and put in travel mode, and went back to bed.

Does the 120v pump not keep the leveling system pumped up so it maintains the same height? Or does it just mainatain level while the coach overall lowers? Many times I have come back to my storage unit and the coach is sitting lower than when I left it. Right now I think the coach is sitting all the way down. Is that bad? Still trying to figure this air system out...
Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

In my experience the 120v will not keep the coach level. Only an airbag system with no leaks will do that. Again, from my experience.....the auto leveling is not terribly useful.

Let’s say I pull into a level lot and then hit auto-level. It blinks for a second and then stops with the red light on. I turn key off and the light stays lit. I am in auto-level mode. Now during the night it wakes up to re-level. If it detects a side that is “down” on one side it will let down the other side. When it gets the coach level it goes back to sleep. (I am not sure of the interval that it sleeps but could be 15 minutes).

The problem comes in with the e-brake. It will not allow the coach to settle into the proper height. That means the level system lets out too much air. When the brakes slip enough to let the coach down (the creaking noise), the coach is not level to the *other* side. Eventually the coach will let out all the air and the coach will be near the ground.

My solution to the problem is to 1) try to get all the leaks out of the air bag system and 2) to mostly leave the coach in travel mode when parked and 3) if I need to level, do it manually then and *not* leave the coach in auto level.

For what it’s worth.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill and Mike, once the coach is level, I briefly release the e-brake and tap on the brake pedal to avoid allowing the coach to move. Yes, then the 120v compressor should keep it level. Allowing air bags to not maintain level mode or travel mode runs the risk of twisting the frame and causing damage. I was concerned about discharging the air from all bags for long term storage when electrical power is not available, and Newell advised that this is best for the coach than allowing the bags to bleed off not in unison.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica