You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Very subjective questions...lol

Ok, this may get me answers and it may not...lol No wait, I am sure it will.
We currently own an 07 American Eagle 45H, we are thinking about changing to either a Prevost or a Newell (both used). I have been doing a tone of research on Prevost but have virtually no experience on Newell.

When looking at cost of operation and maintenance, how does a Newell compare to my current coach?
We full time, so how is it to get service on a Newell or repairs if something breaks. I was always lead to believe that if you owned a Newell be prepared as they were an electrical nightmare and the issues with their flat floors would eat you up. I was also always lead to believe that in order to own a Newell you better know the way to OK, as that is where you will have to go for all types of repair. Remember, I have no idea.

Why would someone buy a Newell over a Prevost? Prevosts are designed as a commercial vehicle to haul passengers a million miles. Newell's are special built motorhomes.

Really looking for some real assistance, not trying to start a brand war anywhere about anything. Just trying to learn to see if a Newell might be a true consideration.

Brett

I'll answer part of your questions. Newells are designed and built from the ground up to be a certain type of coach. Prevosts are a bus shell that is converted by different converters. Each company has their own way of working around the Prevost bus designs. So each Prevost could have different items, etc. depending on which company did the conversion and what the customer wanted. Newells are custom built but the basic design is somewhat standard. Newell has 24/7/365 customer support on the entire coach. Both are excellent choices.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I am on my fourth Newell. I have not had any electrical issues that were a result of wiring or design.. I have had a generator issue but that could be with anyone... I have also never had a problem with the flat floors .. not heard that is an ordeal..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I will further the conversation by saying that I would expect maintenance costs of the Newell and the Prevost to be similar. Appliances are typically either residential or marine. Drive train is Detroit, Cat or Cummins, transmissions are Allison or ZF. Those can be handled by service centers throughout the U.S. just like a Prevost could (although there are fewer locations for servicing ZF transmissions.

I have not found Newells to be an electrical nightmare. The only downside to Newell is that typically, wiring diagrams are not readily available so that slows trouble shooting down somewhat. Slides can be an issue with any brand of coach. Newell, like several other manufacturers, uses air seals around the slides. Depending on the age of the coach, the slide out mechanism may be HWH hydraulic or Valid electric (2003 model year was the transition year with some of each, all Valid since then).

Newell maintains a list of service locations that can work on your Newell if you have an issue on the road. Call them, let them know where you are and they will provide you information for the issues you are experiencing.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

How much of the maintenance on your current coach do you perform?
What problems have you had with your current coach?
Are you talking a two year old coach or a twenty year old coach?
What do you expect to gain by moving to a Prevost or Newell?

Have you spent any time looking through the threads on this forum and how do those issues compare to threads on the Prevost forums?

I think there are more similarities than you might think. Yes, you can get the Prevost chassis worked on at the six or so Prevost sites in the US. However, keep in mind a Prevost is not a Prevost is not a Prevost. If you want Marathon specific work done then you go to one of two sites, same with Liberty, Millenium and so on. The Newell chassis uses commercially available heavy duty axles, transmissions, and engines. So you don't have to go to Oklahoma to have those systems worked on.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One thing I would add is if you decide on a Prevost keep in mind that there are many conversions done by the owner or other entities that may no longer be in business. I'm sure many of them are very well done but it might be difficult to find someone to service the house components etc. if the need arises. If that is a concern I would recommend doing some fact finding on the conversion companies currently in business and take that into consideration as you choose a coach.
I am interested to hear about your experience/satisfaction with the AE. I have always liked their style.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

First of all, they are both very well built machines. But they both require maintenance as all coaches do,

What is the motivation for changing coaches? Layout, features, drive quality, etc? What would be year/budget for a Newell or Prevost you are considering?

If you compared a 3 slide Newell to a 3 slide Prevost of similar vintage, I think the maintenance would be about the same. As Michael said above from mid 2003 or so on Newell has used Valid slides. Valid, like Newell, offers free tech support over the phone. The one time I needed them they were a lifesend!

One thing I like about newell is that whenever I have an issue I need help with I call them. I know all the service techs. 90% of the time they save me hours. I'm sure a few Prevost converters do the same. But like others say some of the converters are no longer in business. Any time I see another Newell, I make a friend. And I've never met a Newell owner that wouldn't help me if I needed it. (Although I could say that about many RV folks not just Newell owners)

For me, I chose Newell because the layout was more conducive to our needs. I like the private rear master bath with center half bath, bigger bedroom, more headroom. Although I no longer own a mid entry, I also really liked that (sorry Marc!)

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

very valid questions and the gang here has asked you very valid questions to help you. we will not bash other coaches and i am here in a park with a prevost friend and they are amazing machines as well.

i have had 2 newells over the past 9 years or so and have been to oklahoma 2 or three times. i have a local bus mechanic who does the heavy lifting mechanical work and i am my own warranty for the rest of the coach. me and the rest of the gurus that is.

i have not heard of hardly any issues with flat floor slides over any other kind. the issue with slides are the same for any high line coach.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

As for my Eagle, we do really like it. I have done a ton of upgrades to it and it really is a one off. I know every inch of it and every system, some better than others. Now granted that comes with time on any brand. I spend hours just reading and learning, I am OCD. Why do we want to change...lol well that's a loaded and really ridiculous question. WE don't really want to change, I do and momma is willing to go along with it....I don't really have a valid answer to be honest. I have always looked at Newell and Prevost as the "happy ending" to RVing and have always had a dream to have one. As time went on I started hearing about Newell and some of the issues mentioned above. Remember I don't know what I don't know. But it seemed to be a constant story so I started to believe and never really researched. So that left me with Prevost. I personally would rather have no slides so I don't have that issue to deal with, but we fulltime, so don't know. Momma and I finally compromised on if we change it will have a slide.....lol

Once that compromise came about then that kinda opened the door to Newell again, but the more we looked the more we hated the interior design and style. Newell we would be looking up to about maybe 2005 and Prevost up to maybe 2002 (budget on both). With that said Newell seemed to have kitchen layouts that just didn't cut it for fulltiming (they seem very small and virtually no counter for meal prep) Everyone we would ask would always have a line like well ya know Newell owners rarely cook because they eat out....huh I doubt it, but ok. Every once in awhile we do run across a Newell that we do like, so now I am starting to learn about them and ask questions.

As far as maintenance, I do everything I can on mine. But I can't do it all. I kinda look at it as we all have 8 tires, I have a 500 cummins, you guys have cummins, Detroit, or cat. Prevost has Detroit....We all share a lot of the same systems such as heating and cooling, especially for roof air buses and Newells. I have all low voltage computer directed lighting, so do others. I have Hydrohot, prevost and I think you guys have a different version.....etc So we share a lot of the exact same maintenance issues and systems....not all, but a lot. These Eagles aint bottom row coaches...lol

Anyway, thanks for the answers, and yes I have read a lot on here.

we cook in our newell frequently. we have alot of pantry space in ours. anytime you change coaches it is likely to cost you quite a lot. both money and time to learn it inside and out like you have already.

we really like the interior design of ours. we have 2 slides and that works for us.

any of the choices you make are good. either staying with what you have or a newell or a prevost.

i really like the 7 1/2' ceiling in my newell. some are not that tall but mine is.

the year newell you are looking at will have 4 roof airs and mine has 4 basement airs. i would rather have the roof airs. both easier to keep going and i believe quieter.

as for prevost, i really like the look of the XL and not as much the H3 45, but that is personal preference.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH