You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awning Sail/ Change of Pants

A couple of days ago we were driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe when three things happened simultaneously. The coach veered hard right, the coach felt like it was going to tip over to the right, and a  tremendous flapping noise occurred, We veered halfway onto the shoulder before I could straighten the coach. I immediately thought we had lost a tire, but my new tire monitoring system was silent, and the coach was trying to steer straight . Then I heard the slide topper awning above the salon slide wind back up. 

We stopped at the next exit, and to my surprise the awning locks on the arms were intact. So the wind had to hit the coach just right to get under the rolled up awning and unroll it. 

When we got to Santa Fe, both the salon and the bedroom awnings had obviously deployed about four feet based on the way the leading edge was rolled back up. I have never had anything like this happen before and I hope to never have it happen again. 

We drove across I40 in tremendous side winds on the left of the coach and the awnings stayed put just fine. This had to be a microburst at just the right angle to get under the awning and unfurl it. We had just crested mesa and there were wind warnings and wind socks galore. 

Not that you need to do anything, just thought you would get some entertainment at my expense. When I see wind warnings I will make sure both hands are on the wheel.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sorry to hear this happened! Were you able to re-roll the awnings and they are ok?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Had that happen but didn't affect the coach driving. Just heard the noise and looked in my mirror and saw it flapping. Pulled over and was able to tie it down. But about a month before while driving across Oklahoma we heard what sounded like monkeys running on the roof. At least that's what Cindy said it sounded like. I climbed on top of the truck but couldn't see anything loose. Apparently it was the topper that was flapping.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Awnings are fine, pants ruined, sucked a hole right in the seat of them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ha!!! The good news......Pants are cheaper than an awning!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

the first trip in my 90 i was very uneducated on using it. we were going across I40 in new mexico and i was driving 75. my main awning only had the z lock and no latches. there were 50 mph cross winds that day all the way across new mexico. i heard a loud flapping noise and we immediately saw the main awning going all the way up and down flapping like the coach was trying to lift off. the noise was horrendous. i immediately pulled over and went to a little town that reminded me of the movie Deliverience and borrowed a ladder from a man sitting outside and wired it up with a coat hanger.

ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We have 2 small ZipDee awnings that we had installed on the salon street side windows. They don't have any latches and niether do either of the original small ZipDee awnings in the bedroom. I have noticed that they do not appear to be wound as tight as the originals. Both have deployed more than once in extreme cross wind / head wind conditions. Small awnings so I just slow down. But it was VERY un-nerving the first couple of times.

ZipDee makes locks that attach to the the metal awning cover that will keep your window and main ZipDee awnings from unfurling. Don't think they would work with a slide awning as the risk of accidentally moving the slide out with them locked might exceed the advantage.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

As I posted on the forum before, I motorized my window awnings. The gears that actuate the awnings seem to effective lock the awnings. Not the cheap way out but much simpler in all respects.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Evidently this seems to happen in the same part of this country. I had just reached the west side of El Paso, on I-10, when my main awning opened completely while passing a semi. (I believe I ruined 2 pair of pants) He hit his brakes and I was able to pull over to the berm. In the windy conditions I was unable to get it rolled back up until, about 30 min. later, a couple stopped to help. I can assure you, it never happened again.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue