You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tilt steering play

I think it's about time to fix the play in my tilt steering column,  there is about 3/4 inch of side to side play , has anyone had to do this on an 87 ? I'm  not sure how to order these parts , I guess it's a GM column of some sort ? Thanks for any ideas !

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

It is the standard gm tilt column with extend, manual shift. That should help find parts. You tube videos abound on fixing the play

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I used this link when I was playing with mine: Inside the GM Tilt Steering Column

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

This may not make sense until you tear into it. There is a spring loaded clip that holds the top part of the column to the steering shaft. Any auto parts store will have a tool that screws into the steering shaft and allows you to depress the spring in order to remove the clip. You may be able to get the clip out without the tool but you won't get it back in. I found out the hard way.

Here is the interesting part. The extension mechanism uses a rod inside the steering shaft to rotate a cam to lock the extension at the level you set it. The lever you rotate to release the extension pushes on the aforementioned rod. If you simply screw the GM steering column tool onto the shaft, it will pull straight out and you will sit there and scratch your head. Cut a small length of 1/4 diameter rod and insert on top of the existing rod in the center. That way when you screw the tool onto the shaft it will also press the rod onto the cam and lock the extension.

This will make a lot mores sense when looking at the column with the horn off than it does simply reading it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-22-2017, 02:35 PM)MrE Wrote:  I used this link when I was playing with mine: Inside the GM Tilt Steering Column
Holly crap I think the people at NASA designed that steering column,  could be an interesting fix ?

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146