You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hydraulic Cooler

While under the coach replacing air bags, we noticed the hydraulic cooler had one fan had been dislodged from the motor, see the picture. Has anyone rebuilt theirs? I would like to buy the parts and have the local truck shop install because they have a pit and reasonable rates.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

No ideas on the hydraulic cooler rebuild?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

If the motor runs fine it just may need the fan reattached to the motor shaft. Check it for excessive vibration...That may have caused the fan to dislodge. If the whole fan is wore out I would look at something like this:

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-fan...-fans.html

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Mike
I think the reason for no comment is a bit of disassembly is required to know what the issue is.

In almost ten years of Newell ownership I don't ever recall a post of anyone working on the hyd cooler.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I think you are correct, I always search before posting, and could not find any details on this mechanism. I will post my findings,but it will be a week or so before I get to it.

HoosierDaddy, thanks for the replacement fan website.

The people on this forum are the best. You all have been such a help. This has been a tough first major trip. Many issues with many major systems ( 3 air bags, shock absorbers, air pressure relief valve, air solenoid, toilet, slide water leak, aquahot electric and diesel controls and thermostats, sewer hose, 120v water pump leak, Bode door, main awning, bathroom vent, and hydraulic cooler)

Thank you!
Mike

P.S. Can somebody tell me that it is possible to get ahead of these issues? :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Mike, Yes you can get ahead .....maybe....a little. My Newell is older than yours but I have adopted the idea that an old Motorhome is like combining an old truck with an old house, there will always be something that could use attention. Generally appliances etc. are designed with a 20 year life span. Depending on how much the coach is actually used some things will "age out" before they wear out.
When one of my Newell friends has an issue with something on their coach I go check mine out. I rebuilt the cooling blower on my generator last year before having an issue on the road. I checked it out because Richard, Tom and others had realized the need to rework theirs. I take it to a truck shop once a year and have them do a complete inspection including a DOT checklist.
I have to say that I need to check my own attitude occasionally.....I get to thinking about what might break on a trip and start worrying about that instead of enjoying the trip. I'm trying to train myself not to worry,,,,,just take a credit card.!!!
That said , even though I have had the air bags checked I have not replaced any of them ....I probably should .....

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

What I have noticed with my two Newells is that for the first few years of ownership there are frequent repairs. Things then seem to settle down into a slow steady pace. In fact, I get a bite bored when there are long periods of no fixes and risk making up stuff that needs work. So yeah, it is possible to relax and enjoy.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

We have rarely had issues with our '82......left front tire blew in 2008, engine water pump in 2012, water hose in 2017.... otherwise it has just been standard maintenance..... change the oil, filters, tires, etc. I am thankful every day!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I second jon's comments. Depending on an owners aggressiveness it takes
One to two years to sort out all the gremlins then it settles down. After all my coach is almost twenty years old. I wouldn't expect to drive a twenty year old car or live in a twenty year old
house without some periodic refurb of the infrastructure

Sorry all the stuff hit at once

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On the bright side, once it's fixed it should be good for another 20+ years!