You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

battery disconnect switch

my battery disconnect switch for the 6 house batteries does not work.  it is always on no matter what the switch position is.

it is a cole hersee standard disconnect switch though it has no part numbers on it.  

in that style cole hersee makes 2 spst switches.  one is 175a continuous and 1000a peak,  and a 300a continous with 2000a peak

the 300a one does not look like mine.  i happen to have a spare new cole hersee 175a one that i had for the hot rod that i am not using.  it looks identical to the one that is in there now.the 300a one would need some modifications to the mount, but not too much work.  

i called newell, but they didnt know amperage and part numbers.   

if i do some simple calcs of how much current could be drawn it would be from maxing out the inverter.  3000w inverter would draw about 300a continous if maxed out.  only way to max it out s with the headhunter water pump running, the fridge icemaker dumpint ice, all the tv's and subwoofers on and running the microwave.  unlikely scenario.  

i dont think they use the same switches anymore from what they were describing.

have any of you changed the switch out and if so, with what

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I used a 75908-BX in mine for the main when I relocated the batteries and replaced the cabling. I made a new cover plate to hide any unwanted blemishes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

thanks kyle. yea, that is the 300a version of the switch i have in there now. i think i will go with it as well.

thanks again, great to have a collective of knowledge here to confirm or un confirm my crazy ideas

tom

If you hadn't noticed yet, that switch has 1/2" terminals - you may need to make an adjustment to your cable ends . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

i had not noticed that. thanks. i will have to go measure the terminal tomorrow. with any luck it will be a half inch but i doubt it.

always something.

tom

i installed the 300a switch today. had to drill a hole in the mounting plate on the coach for the stub sticking out of the switch to keep it from twisting.

note to self. dont test the disconnect switches with the merge switch on....it gives you very confusing results.....ha

something that i found interesting. the way my coach batteries are hooked up, the DC power to the inverter is Always on. the battery disconnect switch turns everything else off in the coach but not the inverter. since i seldom use the shut off switches, i had not noticed that before.

is that the way any of yours is set up?

tom

Yes it is!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Mine was the same, so I had Newell add a second switch. One controls the power to the inverter and the other controls everything else.

The cool part of getting Newell to do it is that they made little plastic labels that look like it came that way from the factory.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

btw, you can have a trophy shop make them too....

and i think i am going to probably do that too.

tom

On my '87, EVERYTHING goes thru the switches. When the switches are off, nothing 12v works. If I turn on the converter/ charger, then the house side will have 12v (more like 14.5v), even with the battery disconnected.

Also, when switches are on -  
- when generator is running, it charges the house batteries.
- when main engine is running, it charges both chassis & house batteries.
- the generator uses the house batteries to start

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740