You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Brake Handle

yesterday, we moved out of our condo. After the movers got everything into storage. I was supposed to go get the coach and drive to a local RV park. A somewhat funny thing went wrong... when pushing the air brake handle to release it. I pushed it out of the dash mount. Since I was in a hurry, I put a zip tie around the base, so I could pull with 1 hand and push the brake off with the other. I made it to the RV park (20 miles took 1.5 hours due to tourist traffic).

I remember reading about someone having a similar incident recently but could not find the thread in my searches.

How does the yellow brake handle come off? Any tips on securing the mount back into the dash?

Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

There is a pin holding the yellow knob  on valve

e

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

I think that was my thread! What happened to me is the entire assembly pushed back through the dash due to the very limited number of threads exposed for the nut to hold it on. My solution, which has worked since then, was to use a thread locker on the nut and get it good and tight. Is that your issue too? Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

(07-30-2017, 05:59 PM)RussWhite Wrote:  I think that was my thread!  What happened to me is the entire assembly pushed back through the dash due to the very limited number of threads exposed for the nut to hold it on.  My solution, which has worked since then, was to use a thread locker on the nut and get it good and tight.  Is that your issue too?   Russ
Russ, that is my issue. When I read your post, I just tucked that info away. When it happened, I remembered your thread and I was not worried. Just took me a minute how to get reverse pressure to release the brake

I have not tried to get the handle off yet, hoping for a reply to tell me how to do it. If it is just a pin, does it push through? What holds the pin in?

Hopefully, the same solution works for me ...
Thanks

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i changed my airbrake parking brake valve. on mine, it was a roll pin if i remember right. just use a small punch to get it out.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yep, just a small roll pin. My knob cracked apart once and I just used a small screwdriver I'd push through the hole to operate the valve. Usually when stuff breaks on me I'm in a somewhat remote place. After a couple days of travels I found a new knob at Napa. Curiously no truck stops had any.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337