You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Good paint place

So i have read some threads here about paint places. Would like to know if anyone has had experience with any place other than Newell. 
I need to get the drivers side done from the floor down X the full length. The paint being on the south side while boondocking 6 months a year has lost it's pigment. I have had Newell quote it at $8K. Sometimes I think they don't want the work from the oldies. That is a bit much even if they do do a good job. That much for a piece 36 inches wide and 40 ft long, wow and that is just one color no designs.
So got a quote from Precission Paint & Interiors in Bremen Ind @ $2200. They seem to have great reviews.
I checked out and am waiting for a quote from Extreme in Texas which their web site is far from Precision in regards to reviews.

So anyone know of the work done personally from either of these places or any other places.

Thanks

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Xtreme Paint & Graphics in Nacogdoches is a Prevost approved shop. Their work is stellar. The website is not where they put their efforts. I and many others are most pleased with their work.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Parliament coach in Clearwater, FL did an amazing job on my 93 coach at a price I thought reasonable. One color does make it easier.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks for the feedback Rudy.
Jon I emailed Parliament for a quote.
Thanks guys.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hey Brad, give Chris @ True Colors Custom Paint a call. 574-524-5181. His company, located in Osceola, IN, paints all of the Nexus RVs.  They did the body and paint work for my 1983 Apollo Sceptre motorhome last fall, fantastic job. 

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

We have our coach being repainted right now and I'm very impressed with the prep work taking place. I will wait for its completion before stating more.

A very helpful bit of information that Jerry from Newell provided was that our coach's lower section was in fact just clear coated aluminum which gave it that great look. Unfortunately, it is near impossible to duplicate their process now as the aluminum has aged in various spots, not allowing a uniform color to be duplicated. Originally, they used a metal prep solutiion used with scotch brite, and then a neutralizer followed made by PPG. After this was clean, IMRON clear was applied.

In any event, we are now doing silver samples attempting to come as close to that original look as possible.

Obviously, the surface needed to be properly prepped and fully primed. The silver base coat paint and IMRON Elite clear will be properly applied in a downdraft heated booth shortly.

I hope this helps.

If I have any damage of any type, I go to Xtreme Paint and Graphics in Nacogdoches.  I have had several things done by these guys and they are great.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

We had our 87 Newell painted at Xtreme i've posted pic on here before and after ....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659

I have a quote from Xtreme for from $8500 to $9500. Wow so what is the difference in workmanship or process.
Extreme said they strip all paint down to the Aluminum and use an acid etch primer.
So I called Precession Paint which quoted $2200 and asked them if they do the same and they said "No we don’t use acid etch primer in any of our shops. We sand the surface then prime, paint & clear" So I am not very impressed with that answer.
So I called MCP (Mikes Custom Paint) in Bremen In. He quoted $2200 . He said: "We will sand, apply an etching primer, seal coat it, apply approximately 4 coats of base coat and 4 coats of clear."
Remember all I want is a section 36 inches wide by 40 ft.

Bryan I haven't called Chris yet but will. To bad he doesn't have a web site.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I am not a professional painter. There are about as many opinions on materials etc. as there are shops. If a self etching primer is not needed that does not mean the job is substandard. If it is not covered completely by a 2k primer some paint reducers can soften the SE primer that is applied to the base metal and introduce problems to the finish. Typically a 2k primer is used as a base that seals then a high build primer is applied to allow for leveling the surface by sanding before the color coat and clear coat are applied. Some shops feature a baking process that is represented as being better. Those who do not have bake process say it only speeds the cure in an effort to increase the shops production. Modern paints chemically cure so I don't see baking as an advantage to the finished job. The number of clear coats adds time and cost to a paint job. They seem range from 3 to 6 coats. If there are painted graphics more clear coats with sanding between each will hide the "step" you feel at the color change edges.
I have not had work done by any of these shops but I have visited Mikes and Precision. Both were very professionally run . I have seen good work from both as well.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.