You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach Water Quality

Gang,

I have been thinking lately about the quality of the drinking water in our coaches.  I posted a thread a while ago about finding a fault in my coach where the "filtered" water really went to my dishwasher and my water dispenser at the sink was really just water out of the tank.  I swapped the lines and now am confident that the water coming out the dispenser is actually filtered.  However, I am still scared of that water and won't drink it....nor will I give it to the dog.  

So...I have three questions:

1)  Do you drink the water in your coach?  
2)  Have you ever tested the water for bacteria?  If so, how do you do that?  (I asked my vet and she got a very blank expression and said hmmmm thats a good question)
3)  Does anyone have a UV sanitizer installed on their coach?  

I guess if you plug into the city water and run the water for a while, you are just drinking whatever the city gives you but I rarely ever use city water directly.  I normally fill up the tank and use the pump.

My biggest concern is not minerals or heavy metals as I would think the filter would get those.  I am primarily concerned with biologics i.e. coliform.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, assuming you regularly flush out you fresh water tank, sterilize it with bleach from time to time followed by flushing it again and you have a pair of
THM filters going to the water dispenser and ice maker (I also replumbed my Insta-Hot to get its water from the pair of THM filters), that water should be free of coliforms and safe to drink. The THM filters should be changed out at LEAST once a year. If all you are using is a water filter that is primarily to remove chlorine and particles, don't drink it. As a matter of fact, running the water from a decent supply through a 'standard' hose bib water filter may do more harm than good if you are filling your tank.

We use bottled distilled water for drinking most of the time but do use the ice, Insta-Hot and filtered water faucet for cooking and making hot tea. If the source of your water is unknown (private well at an RV Park for example) I would avoid putting it into the tank.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,

The big filters have been changed out every year that I have had the coach as part of annual maintenance. (Of course I think my dishwasher really appreciated having clean water).

I have also done the chlorine flush on a fairly regular basis. The last time resulted in a whole bunch of black sand like material being flushed out of the system. Of course I changed filters after I did that.

I also will not fill up the water anywhere that I feel is "iffy".

I guess I am looking for a way to verify that the water is "good". The UV thing would be a belts and suspenders approach.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Sounds like you have been properly maintaining the water system on your coach.

The THM filters are VERY good at removing organics, cryptosporidium, and obviously Trihalomethanes. Certainly adding UV would be an extra safety precaution if you plan on switching over to using the tank water exclusively for cooking, drinking, etc.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Restaurants (all PWS) have to test their water for Nitrates and chloroform regularly. contact your local health department for water sample bottles. The test is not expensive.
My local Health department provides the bottles and an instruction sheet for obtaining sample.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I basically use the HTM filters for drinking, ice and coffee. On the other hand, is there any record of anyone getting ill from drinking from their rv tank filled with tap water? A little clorox should put ones mind at ease. Tempest is a teapot???

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Actually, both my dogs have gotten sick while in the coach. One has since died of unrelated illness, but other got extremely sick while in coach (at Newell) She now only drinks bottled water. Since switching to bottled water, we have not had a problem. She drinks tap water at home.

So....yes, I may be a little reactionary, but the water is the only thing that makes sense. I have a sample, that I will get tested tomorrow.

Ps. I also use filtered coach water for ice....and have not had any issues with that.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(08-09-2017, 02:47 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Michael,

The big filters have been changed out every year that I have had the coach as part of annual maintenance.  (Of course I think my dishwasher really appreciated having clean water).  

I have also done the chlorine flush on a fairly regular basis.  The last time resulted in a whole bunch of black sand like material being flushed out of the system.  Of course I changed filters after I did that.  

I also will not fill up the water anywhere that I feel is "iffy".  

I guess I am looking for a way to verify that the water is "good".  The UV thing would be a belts and suspenders approach.

bill

Bill, do you know if the tank flush is part of Newell's yearly PM? if not, then I doubt mine has Ben done recently. What is the process?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

They do not do a flush as part of PM. (At least they never have on mine). I am doing this process on an annual basis right now but may change that once I figure out how to test the water.

Here is the process that I use....First get new water filters. You will want to replace all the filters after the flush.

You have the two main water filters in the water bay, the particulate filter in the water bay and the refrigerator filter (at least).

I empty the water tank and use the top port to add two gallons of clorox using a funnel with a flexible tube attached. Then I fill rest of tank with fresh water. Open all the taps one at a time until you smell chlorine. Flush the toilet a couple of times. Let it sit like that for a couple of hours. Don't forget the hot water dispenser, refrigerator water dispenser and dishwasher.

Then open all the taps to run the chlorine water from the water tank into your waste tank. (Be sure to empty the waste tank before you do this). Fill the water tank with fresh water again and open all of the taps one at a time and let the fresh water flush out the chlorine. Don't forget to rinse out the dishwasher. I also dump the cubes in the freezer and run water through the door water dispenser.

Replace all the filters.

NOTE: I have had this process generate a lot of black sand like material. This clogged the inlet filter to the dishwasher. Not a big deal but was a pain to get to. I do not know if this is deterioration from the plumbing or some sort of biologic material...but either way it goes away after you rinse the system with fresh water.

Once the chlorine water has enjoyed a couple of hours in the waste tank, I dump it.

You should end up with a tank of fresh water and an empty waste tank.

Hope this helps.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Good procedure Bill.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com