You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

OK Gurus

We have an older unit 395. I’ve spent 2-3 days working on the dash heater/AC fans
The fans quit on our way home from Houston. There was no power at dash switch.
At the suggestion of a guru I ran a hot  wire to switch, fans ran on high only.
I found a bad relay (been hot 30 amp) and replaced it with a 40 amp and nothing worked.
I again used the hot wire to switch. The fans came on, I removed wire and the fans still
Work (only on high speed
Does anyone have any ideas what’s going on? I have called Newell, but most everyone
Who helped build my coach have retired. Glenn was stumped

I have used words I used back in my Army days

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Is it possible that the switch has dirty contacts? Or, possibly a bad switch?

George,

On newer coaches (so may not apply to your coach), the way that the blowers change speeds is through a series of wire coil resistors.  These go out and will keep your blower from working on all the speeds.  They look like a series of springs mounted on a board.  Have you seen anything that looked like that?

On my coach it is located behind dash about midway across down low.  (Access through a removable panel to left of passenger seat)

Bill

Here is a link...but not the correct part

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

edit - Bill beat me to it . . . .

The last time I had a problem like that it was on a car. It was a bad Blower Motor Resistor.

Google "blower motor resistor schematic" -- you should be able to find some images that will explain better than I can.

Good luck!

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

On our '92, they are located with the blower motors behind a panel in the generator squirrel cage blower compartment. If my memory serves me, the unit was made by 4 Seasons for what it's worth.

I have the fans uncovered (that was a bear)  Newell built the coach around that housing
And it had never been apart (screw heads rusted). What I have began to think...
I have 2 problems. A relay got hot and melted a connection (cause unknown at this time)
And it has damaged the dash switch.

I’m in the process of tracing out the other relays and looking for some reason for the relay
Failure

The relay that failed supplied power to AC. Compressor AND to blower fans. So one of
These must have a problem

This afternoon I checked wiring to compressor it seems to be OK. So I’m now looking at
Motors and switch wiring

I’ll tell you what I find tomorrow

I named our coach the BEAST....looks like I picked a good name...LOL

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

The resistors are located in the duct work so they will get air flow over them to keep them cooler.  1/4" spade terminals are quite often used so clean the tabs and replace the female wire terminals with heavy terminals and crimp them well.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

check the compressor clutch for excessive current draw.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

THANKS to everyone who replied 

I believe i have it all repaired. I still have one fan motor not running and plan to remove it tomorrow.
Next I'm replacing the AC compressor (looks old), it works, BUT on 385 there is only one belt for AC and alternator. Think Jim (PO) replaced the alternator
IF AC compressor fails I'll loose the alternator.  

thanks again for the help

George

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

(10-05-2017, 02:03 PM)Georgeb Wrote:  THANKS to everyone who replied 

I believe i have it all repaired. I still have one fan motor not running and plan to remove it tomorrow.
Next I'm replacing the AC compressor (looks old), it works, BUT on 385 there is only one belt for AC and alternator. Think Jim (PO) replaced the alternator
IF AC compressor fails I'll loose the alternator.  

thanks again for the help

George

Series 60 Detroit?

1995 # 390