You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HCV and six pack

i admit i am a bit biased on this topic. i have had 2 solenoids fail and both times rendered the coach not driveable. so i have rebuilt all of mine. there is little to no chance of causing any issues in doing so. that said, be careful of the wires coming out of the pressure sensors that are on the 6 pack manifolds. they tend to get brittle and can break off at the epoxy on the sensor.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, the pressure sensor that you mention on my coach is leaking like crazy.  It's coming out all along the thread.  I've tried to seal it it with TLG German glue, but that didn't work too well.  About 80 percent inprovement.  It seems like an unusual failure of that degree.  Where could I get a new one or Newell the only likely source.  I'm not at all sure how to label it.  Tony

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

front six pack or rear?

it is ok to take one out and just put a plug in for now

i ordered it online. i will look it up. i have replaced one at the front of the two and the only one at the rear.

tom

CM-2B-35F/WLAU35 NASON are the front pressure sensor on mine. they are for low pressure. if you unplug them it just tells the hwh system that there is at least 35lbs of air in the system.

there are two in front, both the same. all they do is tell the hwh system when there is less than 35lbs in the system and supposedly turn off the green travel light on the hwh panel.

the one is the back is like a 90 or 100 and does a similar thing only to make sure you have enough pressure in the system to float the bags. if it is unplugged it just assumes that you have enough air.

if you asked newell about them they would just tell you to take them out and plug them.

i did that for the rear one for about 5 years and then finally got on and put it in.

the last time i rebuilt my front 6 pack, one of the wires broke off one of the front ones so i got two new ones and put them in.

again, as long as you watch your air pressure, it wont hurt anything to plug them.

i think i had to order them and have them made and it took about 6 weeks or so to get them. i would for sure not pay a premium price to get them early or faster or such.

my two cents worth

tom

(08-13-2018, 07:29 PM)encantotom Wrote:  front six pack or rear?

it is ok to take one out and just put a plug in for now

i ordered it online.  i will look it up.   i have replaced one at the front of the two and the only one at the rear.

tom

This one is in the rear Tom.

This one is in the rear Tom.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

it is also a nason. then for sure i would just take it out and plug it for now. all it does is confirm that you have enough air in the system to float the air bags as required and turn the travel light on. when you unplug the wire the default says it is ok. and you know if you have enough air in the system by looking at your gauges on the dash.

mine was plugged for years before i replaced it. no issue.

my two cents worth

tom

Plugged her up Tom! Thanks for your help! You are a great resource here which is so much appreciated!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Mike @"Land Yacht"  posed this question:  Has anyone remounted the front 6-pack inside the compartment instead of leaving it under the coach exposed to elements? The Newell Techs said the new coaches have the 6 pack inside the compartment not outside.

I started think more about this and decided if a valve failed, getting underneath to work on the six pack would not be easy or safe.  If you remove a line to one of the front air springs, it's going to come down and I don't want to be underneath working on it.

So, since I'm inside for the winter, it seemed like a good time to relocate.  First I decided it would be important to be able to remove to whole block if needed which meant it couldn't be bolted to the bay wall directly.  I milled out one side of a piece of 2 X 2 X 3/16 square tube and put in mating holes.  Second, I punched two holes in the front wall of the Driver's side forward bay. (HWH hydraulics are in here) and inserted bushings.

I put a 22 ton jack stand under the weight bearing point below the suspension support.  The air lines were marked as well as the weather pack connectors.  Removed the six pack  and brought the air lines through the front wall along with the electrical connectors. Next the six pack was attached and all the air lines were extended.  I added a filter separator just in case there would be dirt or moisture. Then, the electrics were plugged in and put air back on the system.  Tested and everything is working as it should.

It didn't come out as neat as I would have liked but nevertheless, it is functional and safe to work on now.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Nice job Gordon.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

did you have to extend any airlines? or wires?

tom