You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New LVP floor!

Well, we finally got our coach back with the new LVP floor installed. Overall, we're very happy with it, it looks great! On the critical side, the gap in the floor slide is slightly wider than we hoped, but not a deal breaker.

The other thing that seems a bit off, but I suspect is unrelated to the actual LVP installation is that the floor on each side of the crack has a little bit of give. So if you step right along the crack, the floor is effectively not level while stepping there. At first I thought it was just on the moving floor section, but it does seem to occur on the stationary floor section as well and mostly toward the rear end of the slide. Wondering if there is anything that can be done to shore that up from beneath. I haven't had a chance to pull all of our stuff out of the bay below to take a look.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

That looks great ,Paul. Very similar to the LVP I put in my Newell last spring! My Newell doesn't have slides but the floor over the steps retract. That area of the coach floor is sheet metal on my coach to allow for the sliding floor section to retract under with minimal difference in floor height.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

My wife is laughing at this post. Why. Cause, in the two years since I have installed LVP in our coach she has heard me complain about two things. The gap at the slide out, and the "give" at the seam.

Let's start with the gap. The HWH slide mechanism is a bit tricky since it doesn't go straight up and down, but rather pivots into place. The only way to get a really tight seam right there is to offset the fixed floor and the moving floor about a 1/16 to the slide side. I was really critical of my work because I wanted a 1/16 seam, until I saw the coaches at Newell. They come from the factory with about a 1/8 to 5/32 seam. A Ha!

Second, the "give". I don't know what your installer used under the LVP, but I used a high end padding for noise and water protection. That padding has a bit of sponginess to it. You can't feel it when you walk on the floor, but right at the seam, you can feel it. The LVP plank is rather flexy, and only one side of the plank is supported at the seam. In hindsight I would not have used the floor underlayment made of any kind of foam.

One of my winter projects is to redo the floor. This time I want to use an engineered wood. The LVP has held up well but, I want to do the whole coach this time. I will probably use and underlayment like tar paper just for moisture barrier.

Oh yeah, we put some of the anti rattle drawer liner on the bottom of the moveable console. It would come sliding down the aisle when the brakes were applied. Not good. The drawer liner keeps it from sliding.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-16-2017, 05:37 AM)Richard Wrote:  My wife is laughing at this post. Why. Cause, in the two years since I have installed LVP in our coach she has heard me complain about two things. The gap at the slide out, and the "give" at the seam.

Let's start with the gap. The HWH slide mechanism is a bit tricky since it doesn't go straight up and down, but rather pivots into place. The only way to get a really tight seam right there is to offset the fixed floor and the moving floor about a 1/16 to the slide side. I was really critical of my work because I wanted a 1/16 seam, until I saw the coaches at Newell. They come from the factory with about a 1/8 to 5/32 seam. A Ha!

Second, the "give". I don't know what your installer used under the LVP, but I used a high end padding for noise and water protection. That padding has a bit of sponginess to it. You can't feel it when you walk on the floor, but right at the seam, you can feel it. The LVP plank is rather flexy, and only one side of the plank is supported at the seam.  In hindsight I would not have used the floor underlayment made of any kind of foam.

One of my winter projects is to redo the floor. This time I want to use an engineered wood. The LVP has held up well but, I want to do the whole coach this time. I will probably use and underlayment like tar paper just for moisture barrier.

Oh yeah, we put some of the anti rattle drawer liner on the bottom of the moveable console. It would come sliding down the aisle when the brakes were applied. Not good. The drawer liner keeps it from sliding.

Thanks Richard. I should have clarified that I had read up about flooring installation with the slide, including your recommendations in the past. Part of why we farmed the job out - with trying to get our house ready to sell, I didn't have the time to spend to make sure we really got it right.

The give definitely isn't from underlayment, it seems like the entire subfloor gives just a bit.

We're headed to the Mothership at the beginning of November so I might see if they have any recommendations on the give as well.

Definitely glad to have the carpet out though. It will go a long way to being able to keep the inside clean with the dogs.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

If you had used engineered wood, there would have been no sagging on the edges.