You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Direct Drive Blower for generator

I have run mine on low with outside temp 108f coolant temp 180.

1995 # 390

Thanks Keith. I know these little diesels are pretty efficient on heat exchange. Maybe I’ll forego the speed switch.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, I wired mine on low as well and it moves a ton more air than the old unit did. Not sure if the old unit was getting tired or what, but it was way more air on low only. Can't imagine what med or high would be like.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Bummer as the blower is late to arrive at Grainger. I was hoping to tackle the project this weekend.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

The blower project is coming to a conclusion. I had more issues with corrosion that needed addressing. I removed all the decaying insulation and installed a poly the insulation that does not absorb and hold water. All metal behind it was descaled and coated with Por15 black. I drilled some water drain holes as it used to just puddle under the factory rubber mats of which I removed. I can say the new blower is extremely quiet at all speeds. Very happy with this and felt the expense was worth it. I also had to replace the compressor as it would not restart after it got hot. This entire compartment got a makeover! (Replaced the washer bottle for good measure too)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Looks great Simon.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Simon,
Looks very nice. If I redo that storage area you've given me an excellent mark to aim for.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Thanks guys! The main issue is water ingress from rain and washing. There's no stopping it. On mine, there were two layers of rubber flooring the factory put down which kept the water from ever drying out. It was a sopping corroded mess once I cut it all out.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, where did you source that three position switch? I don't think a person will ever need more than low, but I love the idea of having that option in super warm situations. Figure it can't hurt for the cost of a switch.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Found on the world renown Amazon! I wired it based on someone's findings on terminal placement. It does not come with instructions. Honestly, I do not think there's much of a speed difference for the matter. (You can hear a slight difference but I wonder the true CFM makes a real world difference)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312