You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slides won’t work

I have 13.4 v at the pump solenoid. I hadn’t heard my 120 pump running lately so I drained it’s tank a little and it started right up. Just grasping at straws now.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Randy,

Have you tried unplugging the control module from the ribbon cable, waiting a minute, and replugging?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Are you talking about the control panel in the dash or the control box in foreword driver bay? I’ve unplugged the one in the bay several times, but not the control panel cable. I’ll go try that.
Thanks

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Randy,

My two slide is older so what I might think I know may not apply. But let's try some question and answers to see if we can stumble upon anything. I think you have said you have 4 slides, only one of which is in, the others you would like to retract. I presume you have a separate control panel for each slide, right? When you talk about the lights on those panels is it correct to assume all panels associated with the open slides are responding exactly the same way? You turn the key, the yellow light flashes for 20 second or so, then becomes a solid steady yellow? You also say the red ( pump ) light is red. When does it turn red - does it turn red when you push the retract rocker switch? I would think that would be the case and is supposed to indicate power has been sent to the hydraulic pump to operate the slide cylinders. When my pump starts I can hear it running - even with the coach idling. Do you believe your hydraulic pump is running when you press retract? Let's start with those questions.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks, the answer is yes to all you questions except the last because the light turns red but the pump doesn’t start. It does however click.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Success! First I’d like to thank everyone who tried to help! I called HWH again after I had almost given up. I got a different lady today and when I explained that I was immobile because the slides were stuck out, she told me she would have Tech call within the hour! (I told someone yesterday the same thing and was told it would be two weeks.) Joe the tech called and within 5 minutes he had it nailed.
He had me turn on the key to energize the system then put the meter on the big feed wire to one of the solenoids that go to the hydraulic pump, there are two big wires, one in from coach (13.5v) and one out to second solenoid (0v). Then I checked the two small posts on the same solenoid. The one with a white wire was I believe the ground and was good, but the other one (black wires) had 12.5v, and he said that meant the solenoid was bad. The solenoid not only controls the pump but also has ties to the control box for the leveling system and slides. Sorry I’m so long winded, I hope maybe this will help the next guy.
Anyway, I hooked a jumper cable across the two big red wire terminals and pulled the slides in (I also ran one back out then in to make sure). I’m not sure I’ve explained this well, but ask me questions if you want.
Thanks again, Randy

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Randy - Great news. I am sorry to have abandoned you after asking the questions, but stuff came up I had to deal with. We would have gotten there when I learned the pump was not running.
But just one weird thing remains. You stated your slide seals were not deflating. That is totally separate from a bad pump solenoid. Is it possible you were mistaken on that point?
Thanks,
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I don’t think so, the tech said there were wires on the solenoid that went to both the leveling and slide control boxes. However I’m a little confused about how bridging the two main terminals caused the smaller ones to work? I’m pretty sure Tom would be able to explain.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Russ,

You posted on this a couple of years ago. Didn't you install an auxilliary relay to pull the big solenoid in? Or perhaps I am totally confused about what we are talking about.

"This happened to me several years ago when my alternator gave up the ghost.
Being an EE I quickly found the voltage from the control board to the contactor that operates the hydraulic pump was insufficient to energize the contractor. I am of the opinion that the slides should function without the coach running if I want ( they had not to that point ) and I installed a small interposing relay between the output of the control board and the contactor for the pump. Problem solved and slides operate whenever i want them to now. If the front one would stop at the correct position so the pins could lock I would be really happy. Two trips to Newell and that problem still exists :-(
Russ White
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004 "

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I can do mine without the engine running just fine

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH