You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Safe-t-plus, anybody?

http://www.safe-t-plus.com/

Has anybody installed one of this on a 80's model or newer? Will it help?

I'm kind of paranoic about a tire blow out and loosing control, will this unit help?

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

They have been used for years. My 2005 Dodge 3500 has one from the factory. In my opinion your Newell will provide better stability than most motorhomes because the C/G is lower. If you havent installed a TPM system that would be a good first step for peace of mind. Here is a video that may be helpful:

https://youtu.be/lkwOE1yKY5c

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I installed one on another brand of motorhome. It did not help the handling. It did mute the effort and feel at the steering wheel. I removed it after a short time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-06-2017, 01:52 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  They have been used for years. My 2005 Dodge 3500 has one from the factory. In my opinion your Newell will provide better stability than most motorhomes because the C/G is lower. If you havent installed a TPM system that would be a good first step for peace of mind. Here is a video that may be helpful:
Thank you for the video. I've read some people here in the forum having blow outs and they said that it was really scary, not sure if it'll work out to keep it calm in that situation while you have your family up there and remember to speed up when your brain is sending stop signals, I've also seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0 and from his stop lights he didn't apply the break but still lost control.

I don't have a TPMS system yet and I think that it will be a great start as long as I can get a good system that works reliably, thanks for the pointer.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

(11-06-2017, 05:20 PM)Richard Wrote:  I installed one on another brand of motorhome. It did not help the handling. It did mute the effort and feel at the steering wheel. I removed it after a short time.

That is interesting, I wonder why you removed it? even if it helped a little bit. I wrote to safe-t-plus yesterday and they write back this:

"Your 1988 Newell motorhome on a straight axle (not independent front suspension) will require our Safe-T-Plus Steering Control Model 41-230 (Blue unit). In addition, you will need our G-002K2 mounting hardware kit. "

I have no idea if I have a straight axle or independent suspension.

I do have a lot of play on my steering wheel and I have the feeling that I'm not controlling the position of the coach at any time, just correcting it all the time, I thought that this thing will kill two birds with one stone, help with the constant correction of the steering wheel but above all give me control in the case of a front tire blow out.

I've read the post you've made about this issue "Play in Steering Gear" and it might be a good idea for me to take a look at that bearing at the end of the column and see if that corrects it and make me feel that I have more control of the steering wheel.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

You definitely have a straight (solid) front axle rather than independent suspension. The first two Newells with Independent Front Suspension that I am aware of were #416 and #423, both 1996 models.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You might also check Youtube for videos on rebuilding GM steering columns. Ours had 4 screws that had loosened way down inside the column. Tightened them with Loctite as per videos and it made a tremendous difference in "loose" steering wheel.

You mentioned play in the steering. That leads me to recommend a trip to a GOOD shop that inspects and aligns suspension. I would talk to local bus or trucking companys and find out who they use. Tell them that you have play in the steering. If you ask for a DOT inspection they will use a thorough checklist that might uncover other items that you would want repaired for safety ( brakes, lights, air lines etc.) A steering stabilizer (like safe-t-plus) can mask wear and improve the feel. My Dodge has exhibited "death wobble" when the stabilizer was wore out and other steering joints needed attention.
I too, noticed no brake lights on the MH in the video. There are too many unknowns there to determine the actual cause of loss of control. With due respect to the driver he may not have had the "wits" to brake OR steer. In fact if he didn't have his seat belt fastened he could have been on the floor. Additionally keep good tires that are not out of date and properly inflated and you will greatly minimize the possibility of a tire problem.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

In regards to why remove it if it helped a little. It did not help a little. It didn't change the need to correct, but it did make driving in a crosswind more difficult. manuevering in a campground more difficult, and increased the steering effort.

I am a big fan of fixing what is causing the loose steering instead of putting a device on that masks the issue. That's my .02.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have the smart wheel and steering column which exhibits a lot of play. I read Richard’s post but think my column is different. Has anyone with a smart wheel had any repairs that help the steering?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model