You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Microphor Microflush LF-210 toilet smell

I've read the posts regarding the Microflush toilets and haven't seen this issue addressed.  My other half keeps complaining of toilet smells coming from the water closet (toilet room), whether or not it's been recently used (I have a bad sniffer, so I don't necessarily notice the smell).  After reading said posts and scanning the owner's manual, I don't see how smells from the holding tank can work their way into the bathroom, expecially when the toilet hasn't been recently used.  We keep everything very clean, including frequent flushing of the holding tank. 

Any ideas/suggestions??? 

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Bryan,

My toilet is in middle of coach and the waste tank is directly under the toilet. The pipe from the toilet goes essentially vertically into the top of the tank. In my case the seal between that pipe and the tank was not airtight. The square tanks that were used on our vintage coaches seem to sag in the middle of the top and this pulls the tank away from the pipe. It seemed that I always had a bit of a smell. A little clear silicone around the pipe did the trick for me.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(11-27-2017, 08:15 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Bryan,

My toilet is in middle of coach and the waste tank is directly under the toilet.  The pipe from the toilet goes essentially vertically into the top of the tank.  In my case the seal between that pipe and the tank was not airtight.  The square tanks that were used on our vintage coaches seem to sag in the middle of the top and this pulls the tank away from the pipe.  It seemed that I always had a bit of a smell.  A little clear silicone around the pipe did the trick for me.

bill

Bill, 

My toilet is also in the middle of the coach, sounds like the same exact orientation/setup.  I'll check that seal yet today, thanks for the tip!

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI

(11-27-2017, 08:15 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Bryan,

My toilet is in middle of coach and the waste tank is directly under the toilet.  The pipe from the toilet goes essentially vertically into the top of the tank.  In my case the seal between that pipe and the tank was not airtight.  The square tanks that were used on our vintage coaches seem to sag in the middle of the top and this pulls the tank away from the pipe.  It seemed that I always had a bit of a smell.  A little clear silicone around the pipe did the trick for me.

bill

Bill,

So I've looked atop of my holding tank, and ALL of the pipes that are supposed to be attached to the top are loose.  I suspect this very well may be my problem.  Thanks for the direction. 

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI

Bryan,

I also chased this demon. Two things helped. The installation of the rotating wind vane vent caps on both roof vents. And once a month I flush a cup of clorox and cup of pinesol into each toilet. I don't let it sit in the bowl, cause the clorox would eat the seal, but I flush immediately into the waste tank. This made a huge difference for us. My theory is the little holding tank in the microphor was the culprit and it needed some anti stink attention.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Subaru Outback Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have found that the shower drain trap will dry out letting fumes in. At times even after recent usage I think the vents cause a vacuum in the tank that pulls the water in the trap out enough to let it "pass gas". Try one cup of water down the shower drain of find a rubber stop that will lay over the drain to seal it.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We have used holding tank deodorizer from Camping World or Walmart with pretty good luck. Our coach also has an "odor control" system in the black tank. I have thought this to be redundant though. After all, everyone knows " if you have a Newell, your poop doesn't stink!"

(11-27-2017, 07:36 AM)The smell is coming from the left rear over flow hole top of bowl..plug it with rtv.. Wrote:  I've read the posts regarding the Microflush toilets and haven't seen this issue addressed.  My other half keeps complaining of toilet smells coming from the water closet (toilet room), whether or not it's been recently used (I have a bad sniffer, so I don't necessarily notice the smell).  After reading said posts and scanning the owner's manual, I don't see how smells from the holding tank can work their way into the bathroom, expecially when the toilet hasn't been recently used.  We keep everything very clean, including frequent flushing of the holding tank. 

Any ideas/suggestions??? 

Bryan

Bryan,

You previously said that you had loose fitting pipes at top of square tanks. That will allow sewer gases to work their way up into the water closet. One thing that you might try is to clear silicone the bottom of the toilet to the floor. The toilet just sits on top of whatever hole they made in the floor to get the pipes through. In my case the pipe were not sealed in any way.

The silicone had the added benefit of keeping the toilet from moving. (My bolts were snug, but there was still a bit of wiggle if I tried to move toilet.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Ps. I also added the wind direction vents. They are super cheap and work great.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

What we do is make a solution of dawn, vinegar, small amount of clorox. we let it set for an hour or so then (we use the shrinkable hose) wash it under pressure until it fills and dump, then repeat. Keeping the gray water drains is important.

remember to use minimum clorox because to much exposer to the various rubber seals will damage them.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster