You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking to buy $200-400K range

My wife & I toured the factory yesterday.   Wow.  We have owned an 88 Vogue on a Crown Bus chassis and a 96 U320 Foretravel.  Time to move up to a Newell.  

Looking for any info / comments / help as this will be our first time as full timers.  Planning to full time for a few years.  Road trips about once per month. with 3 weeks at each destination.  I work (part time casual) in Oklahoma City, OK and have a site available here.  When not working here we will be on the road enjoying our coach.  Occasionally, two grandsons will travel with us.

Budget range $200-400K range.  Thanks.

See Motorhomesoftexas.com. They are in Nacogdoches, TX.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(11-28-2017, 10:47 AM)Trainer Wrote:  See Motorhomesoftexas.com.  They are in Nacogdoches, TX.

Thanks, Trainer.  We visited Motor Homes of Texas a few weeks ago, they usually have a great selection.  In 2003 we bought our U320 across the street at the factory. In recent years, Foretravel has changed from the monocoque chassis to a Spartan chassis.  

Nice U320 in your photo.  Enjoy.

You will need to determine how many slides you want - they are a conundrum due to more complexity and weight vs interior room. I personally hate (dislike?) the slideout rooms when they are IN due to space constraints and they make noise going down the road and leak. HOWEVER I LOVE them when they are OUT and we have just a TON more room in the coach. Our is the older HWH system and maybe the newer systems (after 2002 I believe) are supposed to be better but you will have to check with others on the forum. You might consider a Wanderlodge also (no factory support but a great owners group like this one). I will happily sell you mine for $400k :-) Other than the slides the other systems and build quality are top notch. Factory service folks are awesome no matter what year coach you have.
* If you keep the slides clean and learn to operate them correctly they are wonderful... my wife would kill me if she saw this post...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The first Newell with Valid slides was a 2003, #645, then the next four Newells had HWH slides while they tested #645. All Newells starting with #650 have the Valid electric slides. Another consideration in the fairly wide price range you listed is the ZF suspension which includes the active steering tag axle. The first Newell with the ZF suspension was #671, titled as a 2004 but built during the 2003 model run to allow time for a through testing. The next Newell with the ZF suspension was #681, a 2004, then #685, a 2004, then beginning with #697, also a 2004, all Newells since have had the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle. The ZF suspension results in a significant reduction in turning radius.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(11-28-2017, 12:58 PM)pairodice Wrote:  You will need to determine how many slides you want - they are a conundrum due to more complexity and weight vs interior room.  I personally hate (dislike?) the slideout rooms when they are IN due to space constraints and they make noise going down the road and leak. HOWEVER I LOVE them when they are OUT and we have just a TON more room in the coach.  Our is the older HWH system and maybe the newer systems (after 2002 I believe) are supposed to be better but you will have to check with others on the forum.  You might consider a Wanderlodge also (no factory support but a great owners group like this one).  I will happily sell you mine for $400k :-)  Other than the slides the other systems and build quality are top notch.  Factory service folks are awesome no matter what year coach you have.
* If you keep the slides clean and learn to operate them correctly they are wonderful... my wife would kill me if she saw this post...

Thanks for the reply and the good info.  I will keep watching the forum.

I looked a Wanderlodge in the past and have narrowed it down to Newell or Foretravel.  My folks still have a U320 and love it.  We recently visited Foretravel (and toured their factory previously - they build a quality product) & Motor Homes of Texas.  I am watching both of their web pages.  

After touring the Newell factory yesterday, I am heavily leaning towards Newell.  It appears to me that Foretravel is making a mistake going to a Spartan chassis.  Time will tell.

Newell has the quality & support that I am looking for.

(11-28-2017, 02:14 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  The first Newell with Valid slides was a 2003, #645, then the next four Newells had HWH slides while they tested #645. All Newells starting with #650 have the Valid electric slides. Another consideration in the fairly wide price range you listed is the ZF suspension which includes the active steering tag axle. The first Newell with the ZF suspension was #671, titled as a 2004 but built during the 2003 model run to allow time for a through testing. The next Newell with the ZF suspension was #681, a 2004, then #685, a 2004, then beginning with #697, also a 2004, all Newells since have had the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle. The ZF suspension results in a significant reduction in turning radius.

Michael,

Thanks...that is exactly the type info that I am looking for.  I am targeting the ZF suspension with the steerable tag.  I may need to broaden my price range.  We will see.  Selling the house in the spring...but still need to keep spending under control...although, temptation looms.

Dan

Dan,
I agree with Trainer about Motorhomes Of Texas. Contact Jason Haskins for assistance. They have several Newells in stock at this time. Currently they have an 08, 07, 03 and a few other model years.

Reese

(11-28-2017, 08:51 PM)rcantrell52 Wrote:  Dan,
I agree with Trainer about Motorhomes Of Texas. Contact Jason Haskins for assistance. They have several Newells in stock at this time. Currently they have an 08, 07, 03 and a few other model years.

Reese

Reese,

Many thanks.  I am already working with Mel Cordray at Motor Homes of Texas.  

Dan

Michael day
I love reading your comments on Newell history. I think you’ve probably done more documentation than anyone, probably even more than Newell themselves! It’d be cool to have a professionally hard bound book of Newell history. If you ever decide to tackle that project I’d be happy to chip in.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff