You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rariton water heater

We are the proud owners of coach #125, a 1986 model. Has a new rariton water heater that works great with engine heat but not with electric. I must be missing something in the wiring/switching. Breakers in bedroom are good, switch at drivers panel is on. What am I missing??

Also have a leak in/under toilet. Have removed the toilet for a rebuild. I have searched the forum and have found good info on the toilet. That will be todays project.

Also ant ideas on interior primer and paint?? Pink must go.

We have made a couple of trips with the Newell so far. Awesome driver.

Thanks for now, Mark

On our '92 there is a rocker switch on the panel above the microwave for the water heater. This switch is wired with 120V. Bites harder than 12V.

(01-04-2018, 10:22 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  On our '92 there is a rocker switch on the panel above the microwave for the water heater. This switch is wired with 120V.  Bites harder than 12V.

OK that one says 'insta-hot'. I have it on as well.

the insta hot is the hot water faucet on the kitchen sink only

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We also have an Insta-hot switch on both the galley and bedroom panels.

Are you getting 120 volts at the water heater? If not, you need to be looking upstream (electrically speaking). If so, the element in the water heater could be bad.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Is there a relay to supply 120vac to the water heater that is activated by the switch above the microwave?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-04-2018, 05:52 PM)folivier Wrote:  Is there a relay to supply 120vac to the water heater that is activated by the switch above the microwave?
There was no relay on mine when I got it, so I added one right there at the switch - I pulled the microwave out to make access easier. I ended up using a solid state relay rated at 25 amps. ( The mechanical relays vibrated & made more noise than I wanted to listen to. )

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Guess I should have said that there is no power at the heater itself.

Check for power at the switch on the instrument panel (somewhat unusual location for a water heater switch).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com