You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A brand new source of air leaks

Gurus,

This post is a continuation of my airbag woes.  We have made progress, but there is no victory dance yet.  Thanks to Richard Entrekin we are much, much closer to finding a solution.  

Problem:  The coach will sometimes keep air in its airbags with the key off, and sometimes it will just leak out suddenly, or it may leak dow more gradually.  Normally it is the right rear where this happens.  I have fairly new six pack solenoids and brand new Height Control Valves (HCVs).  The problem has been with me since I bought the coach (from Newell) six years ago.  The airbag has been replaced multiple times.  I can reproduce the problem at will by airing up the coach and then letting air out of the bags.  Fully inflated, it stays inflated.  Partially inflated, it leaks down to nothing.

Investigation:  When I pulled into Richard's driveway, and shut down the engine....The right rear airbag started venting like crazy.  I went from normal ride height to being on the skids in a matter of 10-20 seconds.  Remember that the air in the bag is augmented by a fairly large auxiliary air tank mounted in the frame.   This was by far the most dramatic manifestation of the problem to date.  And the coach did it RIGHT IN FRONT of RICHARD!  Wow!  I thought that I had somehow ruptured the airbag.  

The first step was to chock and block the coach.  Richard pulled out a pair of the biggest jack stands I have ever seen.  We raised the coach and placed the stands.  In addition we put cribbing under the trailer hitch.  We did my process of being aired all the way up and then letting air out of the bags.  Richard was able to pinpoint the leak as coming from under the airbag.  (Where the metal is)....NOT THE RUBBER PART!

We decided to remove the offending airbag (aft drive axle - passenger side).  After a few vocabulary expanding minutes, Richard had the bag out.  

Inspection of the bag yielded an surprising observation...The support ring is not attached to the bag by anything other than friction.

We decided to test the bag out of the coach.  Richard rigged up a series of air fittings that allowed us to air up the bag to 20lbs (with proper safety procedures).  The bag did not leak - at all!

Along the way we realized that the "piston" part of the airbag was also not glued but rather worked like the bead on a tire.  Air pressure from inside the bag keeps the piston air tight against a bead that is built into the rubber "bladder".

At this point we turned our attention to the coach and noticed that the platform that the airbag sits on was slightly warped around the edges and is not absolutely flat.  Hmmmm.

Here is the theory that we came up with.  The bag works like a tire...it seals against the piston.  To guide the bag and to keep pressure when it is deflated, the "ring" is used.  In my case we think that the ring is shorter than the piston (caused by the pancake shape of the platform) which means that the piston bottoms out on the platform.  This allows air to escape around the piston.

Lets look at some pictures....

This is the normal configuration of the airbag.

The air inside the bag presses the the piston down and the ring essentially presses up.  The edge of the bladder is pinched between the ring and the piston edge.

If you are still reading....hang on...it gets interesting from here on out.  Smile

Richard installed the airbag back into the coach along with the air fitting that allowed us to fill the bag WITHOUT THE RING.  He put the bolts back into the bag and let the weight of the coach down.  Richard got out from under the coach.  We then gradually added air to the bag.  Around 20-30 lbs.....the bag went "POP" and coach dropped.  The piston had pulled away from the "bead" and had let all the air out of the bag.  

This makes sense.  While the bag will hold air just fine, the platform is exerting pressure to push the piston into the bag.  As the top of the bag is lifting the coach the bottom is applying pressure to the piston.  At around 25lbs or so, the pressure was too much.

From this we figure out that the ring is designed to apply pressure around the edge of the bag and to keep the pressure off of the piston.

Our theory is shown in the figure below...

The piston is just about the same size as the ring.  But, since the platform has a curvature, the ring is bottoming out and not allowing the ring to do its job.  Under some circumstances like the bag being partially inflated, air can get around the piston as in the previous picture.

So, Richard welded on a couple of pieces of sheet metal to raise the ring and keep the piston from bottoming out.

After the installation of the spacing rings, the coach held up with no loss of air for five days.  (No leaks at all!!!)

But....here is the sad part.  When I returned home and parked the coach, it leaked down overnight.

At this point, I am not sure is our theory is wrong or the rings were not tall enough.  We now know much more about how the airbag works, and will collect and present more data as it becomes available.

This was a super-fun learning experience.  Stay tuned for more information.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thank u Bill. Great pics. I'm wondering how the platform became deformed? Is the mounting stud on the bag long enough to allow you to place a piece of 3/8" flat steel under the bag forming a new flat bag platform? then you could shim between that new bag platform and the warped original platform to properly distribute the load.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We could not figure out if the platform was warped during manufacture or after the fact. Yes, I believe that we have enough stud to add another layer of 3/8 steel. That may be the next experiment. We probably need to look at other side to see if it is also warped (shaped like a pancake).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

That was a really nice experience to go through, too bad it didn't fixed it completely but at least you have somewhere to start next time. Thank you for sharing

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Thanks for a great story and presentation.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Having pulled 16 airbags from my coaches I have never seen construction like it is presented here. On mine, the bottom plate with the single stud is integral, or seemed that way, to theair bag unit. The "piston" as I've understood it is a rubber stop to prevent the bag from totally collapsing and damaging stuff (this is based on Firestone manuals).

I'm inclined to think the bag assembly has failed, the bottom dropped out. I'll check a spare bag in the next few days to see if I can replicate your two part assembly. In the meantime, it's probably worth your while to peruse the Firestone manual and verify how yours is constructed.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

So adding Slime won't fix it?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Jon,

There are many different air bag configurations. Some have a fixed bottom plate, some have a piston like mine. I don’t believe this is a failed airbag. For several reasons but the most obvious is that I have replaced the same bag multiple times with the problem recurring at the same place. The pictures that I used were taken and modified from a Firestone or Goodyear technical document.

This type of airbag has a rubber “stop” that is mounted to the top of the bag that prevents the piston from hitting the top of the bag. I will find the document and attach to this thread.

Forest,

I doubt Slime would fix this since the sealing joint is higher than the bottom of the bag. It would just run down to the bottom and not hit the sealing surface.

Thanks for the interest!
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The plot thickens...

Jon might be on to something.

https://www.truckspring.com/Product360Vi...1-358-9447

The link shows an image of the same airbag that we are talking about W01-358-9447, but the bottom plate is different than the bag I have and the ones that I have had in past.  The rest of the bag seems to be the same.

On the bag on the coach, the only way that the bottom is held to the coach is via the center stud.  The ring is held in place by the bag itself. The other two tapped holes along with the lateral bracing are not present on the version that I have.  See the pictures in previous posts on this thread, I only have the outside ring.

Could it be that the old design had a problem and newer versions of the same airbag have been improved?  I believe that my bag dated from 2012.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill: the picture you just posted looks identical to all 16 bags I changed. And the part number of your bags is identical to those on my coach.

The bag on your coach just looks weird to me. Hopefully you will get it figured out soon

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed