You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Genset exh slip joint

Has any one anti-seized their generator exhaust slip joint? Newell suggests to do so annually. Only access I see is from the front of the coach and it is at the rear of the hush box. I'm curious what method others have used to perform the task as it appears a 6 ft arm would be helpful. Not sure what coach range this pertains to but I would guess 90s into 2000s.
I was able to complete the task by taping a toothbrush to a broom handle. It worked, but not sure this is the best way.

Always looking for a better way.................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I ordered some Permatex spray anti-seize from Amazon to see if that will make the job easier.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i bought the antisieize to do it but have not yet. i have no idea how you would get back there with a spray can.

i bought stuff in a can with a brush.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If you were industrious, you could get under the coach and remove the rear cover. Pull out the gennie and you could reach the slip joint.

The toothbrush on a long handle sounds like a good idea.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom, what did you buy in a can with a brush, and where did you find it?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The toothbrush on a stick does work, but it is difficult to get good coverage all the way around. I'm hoping the spray can will shoot a ways and be a little runnier.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Chester,
Tom was talking about antiseize. It can be found at most good auto parts stores.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Grandchildren?

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

yea, i can just hear what my daughter would say when she found out i had our grandson willy crawl in the genny compartment to do it....

but it is a thought.....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Can somebody lend me a "little" one????? Mine is 23 yrs old.

Merry ChristmasWink

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531