You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting ready to by my first Newell 45.8 .3 slide the date codes on the tires are 05/11 michelins no cracks or dry rot stored in side how often would the tires need replacing also is the 365 update something I should do

I seem to remember that it's recommended 3 yrs max on steer tires and 5 yrs max on rears. That is regardless on indoor/outdoor storage and visual condition of the tires. IMHO tires are much cheaper than possible damage to coach and expenses of roadside service in the event of a blowout. (have had 2 on inside dual with minimal damage)

there are tons of discussions and opinions on tires. one thing to remember is that these tires virtually never wear out because few of us put that many miles on them. my michelins i replaced last year were 5 years old with less than 25 k miles on them and i had 3 failures on them in my last trip.

my motto is 5 years on all tires including steers since i have the 365 upgrade done. if i had the smaller tires on front i would do 3 years because of the much higher tire pressure an weight load on them.

thats my opinion and what works for me.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would not run tires longer than 5 years. When I got my coach it had new steer tires and six to seven year old rears. I replaced the rears and gave the take off tires to a friend for his dump truck pusher axle. They looked great but lasted less than a month. 

I did the 365 upgrade and road king shocks at the same time. It was hard on my wallet but worth it.
I also had a rear anti sway bar added, so I can’t say what made the greatest difference.

Mike Moore
2005 Newell 734

Weigh your coach at each wheel location.  If I did not have 365s on the front steers I would be exceeding the weight limit on 315s.  Like Mike I also added the rear sway bar which made a huge improvement in the handling.  I then added  Road King shocks that again made driving even more pleasant!  When I hit 5 years old with my tires I too will replace them.  As Tom has said the 365 replacement extends the steers to 5 years instead of 3 for the 315s.

Take care and enjoy your coach.
Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Thanks for all the replies picking up in Reno will change all when I get to Tucson. Hoping to be at the rally.

Having a Newell Classic which is only 36' long, and only weighs 29,000 lbs. I can go 6-7 years before replacing my tires.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(03-28-2018, 06:56 PM)Roger 1 Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies picking up in Reno will change all when I get to Tucson. Hoping to be at the rally.

are you buying the Black w/ purple stipes coach?

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Last year I had 2 blow outs in side of 100 miles on Dunlap tires that were one month past the 5 year wear dates. One on the tag and on on the inside drive, $5000. bucks late in damage just isn't worth pushing for a little extra milage out of them.

Chris and Randee
#521 45'8"
1999 2 slide

Yes, if all looks good will pick black and purple coach next week.