You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Calcium, minerals, etc. stopping up faucets, etc.

I spend the winter in Las Vegas, they have hard water full of calcium and minerals which have stopped up the faucets and on the washing machine I think it is holding the valve open letting it fill on it's own. Is there something I can run in the lines to clean out these minerals that are safe to use? I think I'll invest in a water softener or Citracell cartridge. But I don't know if it will clean up the problem.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WS.htm
This is where I got my "on the go" softener. If you get a little creative with the valving it can be set in the water bay and not have to be removed for recharging.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

While water softeners help significantly to reduce the minerals in hard water, they are somewhat of a hassle because you have to keep recharging them with potassium chloride. Using an external filter/filters is a relatively easy solution to minimize the introduction of additional mineral deposits if it includes a phosphate cartridge. Of course, reverse osmosis is a very effective treatment for the water going into a Newell but the downside is the large generation of brine that must be disposed of.

Getting rid of the deposits that are currently in your system is a bigger problem. Minerals will cling to valves, metal water fittings, faucet fittings/aerators, shower head, but should not adhere to the piping itself. The faucet aerators can be removed and cleaned out. the valves and water fittings are more difficult. Valves can be removed and cleaned out with Lime-A-Way but it will destroy the finish on some fixtures and don't let it get on stone.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

When we purchased our coach about 18 ago, we had poor water pressure due to mineral deposits. I tried lots of things but here is what worked.
- On the Go water filter. Easy to recharge with table salt. Over months this loosened the mineral deposits. I constantly cleaned the kitchen sink handle
- finally, at the water valve manifold I remove lines and back flushed them with compressed air to clean them out
- replaced the Grohe shower cartridge, OUCH! That was expensive
All has been well for 8 months. I use the On The Go filter all the time and it is very easy. Well worth it to me!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(03-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Land Yacht Wrote:  When we purchased our coach about 18 ago, we had poor water pressure due to mineral deposits. I tried lots of things but here is what worked.
- On the Go water filter. Easy to recharge with table salt. Over months this loosened the mineral deposits. I constantly cleaned the kitchen sink handle
- finally, at the water valve manifold I remove lines and back flushed them with compressed air to clean them out
All has been well for 8 months. I use the On The Go filter all the time and it is very easy. Well worth it to me!
Thanks Mike,
Do you mean to remove the water lines from the manifold and force air to where the water comes out or the reverse.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

One thought I have, and others may point out it's faults that I am not seeing, is CLR / Lime Away in fresh water tank. I would drain fresh water tank completely. Then fill back with 20-25 gal fresh water. Add in 2-3 gal. CLR / Lime Away. Try to agitate a little by adding Lime Away / CLR halfway through the 20-25 gal fresh water. Next open furthest water faucet until you think line has been filled with this solution 1-2 gal. should be plenty. Open other faucets to get solution to each faucet, working back to nearest one to water pump. Make sure ice maker runs 2-3 cycles (throw this ice away). Run washer for smallest level. If any solution is left in tank run washer again until tank is drained (this is based on you saying washer valves seem to be sticking). Next refill fresh water tank with 30-40 gal fresh water & repeat the process. I would do the 30-40 gal rinses at least 3 times completely emptying the fresh water tank each time to make sure system is fully flushed before using any water or ice. Kind of like using CLR / Lime Away to clean up a coffee maker.

Note to all: I just discovered water leak in coach. It is coming out under shower. Not sure yet if it is the drain or mixing valve. Does anyone have instructions or diagram for the 1992 era shower mixing valve? Will dump a 5 gal bucket of water into shower pan to see if it leaks from the drain assembly. If not, will run shower into 5 gal bucket instead of drain. If it is leaking, should be the mixing valve I think.

(04-01-2018, 12:17 PM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Note to all: I just discovered water leak in coach.  It is coming out under shower.  Not sure yet if it is the drain or mixing valve. Does anyone have instructions or diagram for the 1992 era shower mixing valve?  Will dump a 5 gal bucket of water into shower pan to see if it leaks from the drain assembly. If not, will run shower into 5 gal bucket instead of drain. If it is leaking, should be the mixing valve I think.

What year is your coach?

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(04-01-2018, 08:46 AM)Bob Standeford Wrote:  
(03-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Land Yacht Wrote:  When we purchased our coach about 18 ago, we had poor water pressure due to mineral deposits. I tried lots of things but here is what worked.
Thanks Mike,
Do you mean to remove the water lines from the manifold and force air to where the water comes out or the reverse.
I blew air in reverse of water flow from both kitchen sink and shower lines. For example in the shower I just removed the shower head and blew air from there back through line disconnected from manifold. I was amazed at how much mineral deposits came out and I did not have to disassemble the shower cartridge.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Our coach is 1992.