You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electrical woes

Spyder Wire fun.

Dads coach had several switches not working or not lighting up. I grabbed my wiz kid mechanic and we dug into it. We found corrosion on the Cat 5 connectors and the only way to get to them was to remove the panel and start taking it apart until we could get to them. Fun times with the dozens of wires going to it. We tried to clean the connections but in many of them the corrosion was the only thing keeping them together.
Talked to the guys at Spyder Controls in Canada and got the connectors on order. They are mighty proud of them at $120 each. We will also have to put new ends on all 18 Cat 5 wires going to the panel.

Fun times, for sure! :lol:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am the head caretaker and floor sweeper on my dads coach. Also the one who drives it to Oklahoma for him for service.
2005 Coach 730

howdy cranemec,

it would be helpful to know what year coach you have.

so the 120 bucks was for each block of cat5 sockets?

putting ends on the cat 5 is not hard, but usually i test the wire at both ends with a cat5 tester, which is cheap to buy.....but you have to know where the other end it.

if you have not done many cat5 plug terminations, it helps some folks to have the passthrough crimpers and plugs. makes mistakes less

it is something to see that much corrosion on those sockets. i would guess then the coach has been in or around the ocean alot?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(04-04-2018, 08:44 AM)encantotom Wrote:  howdy cranemec,

it would be helpful to know what year coach you have.  

so the 120 bucks was for each block of cat5 sockets?

putting ends on the cat 5 is not hard, but usually i test the wire at both ends with a cat5 tester, which is cheap to buy.....but you have to know where the other end it.  

if you have not done many cat5 plug terminations, it helps some folks to have the passthrough crimpers and plugs.  makes mistakes less

it is something to see that much corrosion on those sockets.  i would guess then the coach has been in or around the ocean alot?

tom

It's my dads coach. #730. I've done many, many Cat 5 connectors and have all the tools to do it. Yes $120 for each block of sockets. Kind of steep. I thought but it is a Newell. LOL
We found the problem by using my tester to test the wires themselves.
I was surprised Newell wouldn't use dielectric grease in the sockets, it would have prevented this. The coach has always been stored inside and most of the 120,000 miles have been no where near an ocean. He was an avid hunter and followed the bird migration from the Dakotas to Texas every year. Now he only shoots Sporting Clays and FITASC and travels around for the events.

I am the head caretaker and floor sweeper on my dads coach. Also the one who drives it to Oklahoma for him for service.
2005 Coach 730

you are a good son, and it sounds like a very capable caretaker of the newell

keep us informed

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Deoxit is a good product to use for cleaning connections.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I was searching the forum for information on the Spyder Controls because i was having the same problem with my newly acquired Newell coach panel lights and switches.

As it turns out, my coach is #730 and I'm working on the same spyder control panels.

Only a few panel lights are not working, as the photos show.  The switches themselves work.

Thanks to crane mechanic, it sounds like I'm in better shape than i would have been.

Any advice on how to prevent the corrosion? Is the electrical connection grease effective?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CorrosionX® Aviation does it all. This is the real deal. 47 years in aviation and I have used everything under the sun. This product is beyond amazing.

MIL SPEC AVIATION CORROSION PREVENTON & CONTROL COMPOUND
MIL-PRF-81309H Type II (current)
MIL-PRF-81309G Type II (thru 2018)
MIL-PRF-81309F Type II (thru 2014)
MIL-C-81309E Type II (thru 2005)
Boeing Part No.: RMO 16679
Pratt & Whitney Part No.: PWC15-011
Cessna Spec: CSNP038, Type 9A
CorrosionX® Aviation takes corrosion control to a whole new level! Featuring the latest advances in Polar Bonding and Fluid Thin Film Coating (FTFC) technologies, CorrosionX Aviation is specially formulated to displace moisture, stop corrosion instantly and provide long-lasting protection. Made entirely in the USA, CorrosionX Aviation is qualified under MIL-PRF-81309 Rev. H Type II (replaces and supersedes MIL-PRF-81309G, MIL-PRF-81309F and MIL-C-81309E) for corrosion prevention and control on airframes — and now, general purpose use as well.

Used extensively by the U.S. military as well as NATO forces, all CorrosionX products and application equipment have been assigned National Stock Numbers (NSN) by the General Services Agency (GSA) and are available for procurement through the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Corrosion X is the only product available to the public that meets the US Navy's tough new corrosion prevention and control performance requirement ( MIL-PRF-81309H ).

Features
Kills and prevents corrosion
Long-lasting Polar Bonding Technology

Features
Kills and prevents corrosion
Long-lasting Polar Bonding Technology
U.S. military proven to be more than 2X more effective* than other airframe corrosion prevention and control products
Displaces moisture
Penetrates and lubricates
Self-curing Fluid Thin Film Coating (FTFC) technology
Effective on all metals
Safe on electronics
Contains no waxes or silicones

Former Owner 2001 Fleetwood Discovery
Proud Newell Owner 2004 S/N 698
FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Technician, Inspection Authorized.
44 years of Aviation filled Joy!