You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

SCS fan motor

It looks like the fan motor in my front basement A/C unit has gone out. I have an A/C tech helping me with the repair but not sure if he can find a fan motor, any advice?
I also mentioned the relays you guys have been installing and he will also help install them once we get the unit working. I also want to know if anyone has changed their SCS units to a newer brand. Due to beautiful ceiling details, roof tops are out.

Thanks

Dario Perini

#581  2001 45'8" double slide
2005 Mini John Cooper Works toad
1999 BMW R1100RT
2007 Harley Ultra

Dario

There is nothing special about either fan motor in the unit. I sourced one of them from a garden variety supply house. Sorry I don’t have a model number. Take the motor to the supply house

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-16-2018, 04:25 PM)Richard Wrote:  Dario

There is nothing special about either fan motor in the unit.  I sourced one of them from a garden variety supply house.  Sorry I don’t have a model number.  Take the motor to the supply house

Thanks Richard. Is it a big job taking out the A/C unit to get to the fan motor?

Dario

Big job is a relative term.

Make a platform the same height as the basement floor. Remove the tape around the two ducts exiting the unit. Remove two hoses.
Turn off the power at the breakers and confirm no power with a voltmeter. Remove the power leads and ground. Disconnect the thermostat plug on top of the unit.

Remove the two screws, one at each outside corner, holding the unit to the basement floor. You may have additional shrouding between the unit and the door that needs to be removed.

The unit will now slide out onto the platform. I think it weighs somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs.

Take the sheet metal screws out that hold the top on. You now have access to the interior of the unit. To access the defective motor. You may have to remove more sheet metal panels.

I think I could have the motor out in two hours, BUT I have taken the units out several times.

Make sure you replace the motor capacitors while you have the unit out. They are behind the circuit board.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Attached are photos of Richard's instructions.  You will need a 5/16 rachet type end wrench to remove screws on the sides.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

it really isnt very hard

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(04-17-2018, 08:44 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Attached are photos of Richard's instructions.  You will need a 5/16 rachet type end wrench to remove screws on the sides.

Thanks for all the great advice, instructions and photos. You guys are great and I hope to meet you some day. 

Thanks
Dario Perini

Chester, we are going to MISS you.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(04-17-2018, 05:04 PM)Richard Wrote:  Chester, we are going to MISS you.

On the same subject we just pulled the basement air on drivers side because of very loud noise like fan hitting shroud. There seems to be some play in the motor shaft that runs the fan but can not find any signs of fan striking shroud. Since it’s apart will replace it and the fan but am over looking something?any help will be appreciated thanks in advance.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

My Dometic basement condensor units exhaust out the bottom blowing the hot air unto the ground. Where do the exhaust ducts vent on the SCS unit?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.