You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power surge took out Refridge and micro/Convection

I had a neutral line from the power company (Duke Power) break at the power pole evidently over the weekend while I was out of town, it took out my refrigerator compressor, and the microwave/convection oven, and some of my stereo speakers don't sound as good as they did, with 2 not working and the others scratchy, so far, I've checked most everything else, and so far so good. I have a friend coming this week to check out the fridge, but not sure what to do about the Micro/Convection oven? It's a 1996 model coach, with a Sharp Carousel Smart & Easy Convection oven. Not sure if it can be repaired, or has to be replaced. 
The surge also took out my office printer.  
Pretty bummed out, was trying to get ready for our month long summer vacation, now this.

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

i had exactly the same thing happen at our cabin. i contacted the power company and they covered everything.

i would check if i was you with them and make a claim

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Would this have been prevented with one of the surge protectors sold at CW?

It is not really a surge. What happens when a neutral connection is lost is the 240VAC is unevenly divided depending entirely on the impedance of each load. Some devices get more than their normal 120VAC, and others less. A surge is when voltage exceeds nominal limits. An "open neutral" is what this condition is called and the results can be devastating. The power protection system I am using claims to protect from an open neutral, but I sure don't want to find out if it actually can.
It would take a rather bulky tester to apply enough load to really give the neutral a good test, but there are designs for such a device on the internet. I don't connect to but a few posts that I use year after year, so I just plug up and usually cross my fingers :-)
It wouldn't hurt to give Tom's suggestion a try if you are convinced the open neutral was due to their or someone's else's equipment or negligence.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks Tom and Russ,
Great idea, I will try that!
Where would I look to replace the Micro??
John

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

it is a commonly sold convection microwave. probably about 4-500 bucks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

John,

I know you are looking for a replacement. But, once a power event took out my Sharp among other things. Being a curious George I took the thing apart to find two things on the circuit board. One, a fuse of all things. Ok, that was easy to replace. The second thing was a Varistor. It is round and about the size of a quarter. They are commonly installed on stuff to protect against power events. It was obvious the Varistor did it's job because it literally exploded. I found one at Radio Shack, solderer it in place of the fried one. Voila !

Your fridge compressor is a different story.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-30-2018, 06:04 PM)RussWhite Wrote:  It is not really a surge.  What happens when a neutral connection is lost is the 240VAC is unevenly divided depending entirely on the impedance of each load.  Some devices get more than their normal 120VAC, and others less.  A surge is when voltage exceeds nominal limits.  An "open neutral" is what this condition is called and the results can be devastating.  The power protection system I am using claims to protect from an open neutral, but I sure don't want to find out if it actually can.
It would take a rather bulky tester to apply enough load to really give the neutral a good test, but there are designs for such a device on the internet.  I don't connect to but a few posts that I use year after year, so I just plug up and usually cross my fingers :-)
It wouldn't hurt to give Tom's suggestion a try if you are convinced the open neutral was due to their or someone's else's equipment or negligence.
Russ
Try not to snicker too hard at me, but I do have a SurgeGard device and was not using it at the 50 amp hookup at my office. Not sure if it would have helped, but I feel pretty silly right now for not using it.

Richard,
Thanks, I will definitely try that first before tossing it out!
Also, if you or anyone, can school me on the contactor switch for the incoming 240, I would be very happy. I replaced mine last week because it was not pulling down, not realizing that there was a problem brewing on my power pole that supplies the power to my office, and ultimately to the coach. After replacing it everything worked, so I left for the weekend (not in the coach though).
So today I find the new contactor not pulling down again? So I'm thinking that the "open neutral" killed it again? If I push it down manually things work while it is pushed in, but it does not stay down. Same thing with the previous one too. I'm hoping a new one will fix it. I checked with Newell, and they said it could be that or the little control board (which is no longer available). They said the sell a replacement box for it all, but I really don't want to go there!
All this from the power pole problem! Jeeez!

If the power company doesn't cover the cost of all the repairs check with your insurance company. They may cover this.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337