You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power surge took out Refridge and micro/Convection

It is not really a surge. What happens when a neutral connection is lost is the 240VAC is unevenly divided depending entirely on the impedance of each load. Some devices get more than their normal 120VAC, and others less. A surge is when voltage exceeds nominal limits. An "open neutral" is what this condition is called and the results can be devastating. The power protection system I am using claims to protect from an open neutral, but I sure don't want to find out if it actually can.
It would take a rather bulky tester to apply enough load to really give the neutral a good test, but there are designs for such a device on the internet. I don't connect to but a few posts that I use year after year, so I just plug up and usually cross my fingers :-)
It wouldn't hurt to give Tom's suggestion a try if you are convinced the open neutral was due to their or someone's else's equipment or negligence.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Messages In This Thread