You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1996 Newell Coach AC Questions

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the Newell family. The learning curve can be steep and frustrating, but the members here will help you.

First of all, in order to help you best, will you tell us a little about yourself. Specifically, is this your first motorhome, what is your mechanical and electrical experience, and do you know how to use a voltmeter? I am not trying to be insulting, just trying to target the help to the audience.

Ok, you have SCS brand basement air conditioners. Since you have somewhat of a unique coach, I am not going to speculate on how many and their location. We will figure that out together.

Let's start with the simple stuff. How many thermostats do you have? And, when you look in the AC breaker panel, how many of those breakers are labled AC?

Next, and this has bitten ALL of us. Look at the panel of switches above the microwave. Look for a switch labeled Heat On-AC Off or Heat Off AC On. Make sure that switch is in the AC On position. You may not have it. Around the time your coach was built Newell started installing a 220V heating element in the Aquahot system to provide heat and hot water. The campsites do not provide enough amperaget to run both AC units and the 220V aquahot.

Next, when you located and counted the AC breakers in the panel, were any of them tripped. If one or more were tripped, then reset them.

On the thermostat, you will likely have Auto High, Auto Low, On Low, and On High on the slide switch on the right side. You will likely have Cool, Heat, Off, and Fan on the switch on the left side. I say likely, because a PO could have changed the Tstats.

Turn the left switch to fan. Turn the left switch to ON High. What happens? The blower should come on and air move from the vents.

Assuming the blower comes on, let's run the next test. Turn the left switch to cool and the leave the right switch ON High. Press the MODE button till the litte arrow on the screen aligns with cool. Press the down button until the setpoint is about 5 degrees below the temperature in the coach. It will take approximately three minutes for the tstat to repsond. It will seen like an eternity.

What happens? This is what should happen. The inside blower should be on and air coming from the vents, you should be able to hear a blower running from the AC unit OUTSIDE the coach. And the compressor should kick on. Look at the Ammeters over the driver before and after the unit activates. What are those readings.

Last comment until you run these tests. I have seen the SCS basement units mounted in different locations. On some of the early coaches like yours, the units were mounted in the center of the basement, perhaps even hidden behind carpeted panels. You are looking for a rectangular box, with two insulated elephant snouts leaving the top. Those snouts route the cool air into the ductwork.

Answer the questions I asked and we can go to the next steps in troubleshooting.

Do you have an SCS manual in the literature that came with the coach. If not use the search engine on the forum, type in SCS manual, and you will find a thread with a link to a copy. It's a good time to learn how to find the treasure trove of information on the site.

Finally, Rhonda and I are traveling in Montana. In three more days, I will be in the land of NO phone or internet, so my replies to your issue may slow down.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by Jerry - 06-27-2018, 10:58 AM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by ccjohnson - 06-27-2018, 11:12 AM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by Fulltiming - 06-27-2018, 11:17 AM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by HoosierDaddy - 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by folivier - 06-27-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by folivier - 06-27-2018, 03:54 PM
RE: 1996 Newell Coach AC Questions - by Richard - 06-28-2018, 07:30 AM