You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Visiting the mother ship...

As the next step in our coach education process, my wife and I are taking a road trip to Miami in about a week. It will be her first time in the presence of a Newell while I have the extensive experience of seeing all of one coach. So, from those who have been to the factory, is there anything that we should be sure to see/notice/stick in our pockets while visiting? :-D

After Miami, we're off to dealers with Newells and Prevosts to get first hand looks at some of the differences. I'm either going to be more focused or more confused after this trip, but I'm hoping it's the former...

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

the factory tour is fun and shows the quality of the coaches. i would go through all the used coaches they have and spend time in them. the oldest they have right now is a 2007. you had said you would be in the 2003-2006 range. so pour over the coaches they have on the lot.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks, Tom...we'll certainly spend time in those coaches. I'm really glad that they have several in the 2007-2009 range so that we can compare those with 2004-06 coaches elsewhere. I'm also looking forward to getting a feel for mid-entry vs. front entry pros/cons.

Robert

Talk to some owners in the service lounge, you may find some 03-06 that can give you some insight. If possible, talk with Creslie the service manager, he might be able to answer a few of your questions about older coaches. He is my service manager and always treated me fairly.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

BobALou,
You might consider Motorhomes of Texas as one of your destinations. They have several 03-06 Newells in their inventory. Call and speak to Jason Haskins at Motorhomes of Texas he will be happy to assist you in your search. 

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

Jason is sales manager. Mel is the salesman you want deal with.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area
Exclamation 

You may also want to check Panterra Coach in Holland Michigan. They have told me they get all of Newell's trades model year 2006 and older. They go thru the coaches mechanically and cosmetically. They will update interiors, touch up paint, perform mechanical maintenance etc. Some of their staff comes from the former Angola Prevost converter, and from the few coaches I've seen they do real nice work.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Thanks for your thoughts and input, everyone. We'll be heading to Motorhomes of Texas after Miami, but neither Jason nor Mel is the person I've connected with. I've also chatted with Steve Bennett out at Premium Coach Group several times, but Arizona didn't fit into this trip. We're hopeful that a MOT visit will give us a good sampling of years/body styles/features which is our primary focus at this point. Panterra is also on the radar, and that is very interesting if, in fact, they get Newell's older trades. Panterra's prices often seem a bit more aggressive than others from what I've seen.

We are really looking forward to finally seeing more than just pictures and floor plans!

Robert

if you head to arizona, please stop by and visit darlene and i

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

BobALou,
When you are looking at the Newell inventory at Motorhomes of Texas pay attention to the tire size on the front end. Some of the units in the 03-06 model years had 315's tire size as original equipment. On Newell's website if you drill deep enough you will see a comment which states that it is not recommended to exceed 65 MPH if you have 315's on the front end. Confirm that the Newell you are considering has the steerable tag axle. 
Fulltiming is one of the moderator's of this board that has extensive knowledge of the models and model year changes. He would be a good resource as to the model years that had steerable tag axles and other features. Also, Tommy in the Service Department at Newell is an excellent resource. I contacted Tommy numerous times when we were searching for our Newell.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242