You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Conditioning The Interior Of The Coach In The Phoenix Heat

All,
How difficult is it to keep a Newell interior comfortable in Phoenix in August? My definition of comfortable would be 75 degrees. Thank you for any and all replies.

Reese 

Newell Coach 1242

you have 4 rooftop airs. i live just outside phoenix and my coach is an 02 with basement airs. during the day it would be running all the time to keep it cool enough to please my wife. i assume the 4 roof airs would cool better. if you keep the window shades down, i imagine you would be close.

come visit us and find out.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
Thank you for your response to my question.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

Keeping the window awnings out and if the wind isn't blowing, the main awning out will help also. Finding shade for the coach, not an easy task in that area, also helps greatly when it is really hot and sunny.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Try to find a space that gives you alignment east/west. That way most direct rays are not hitting sides of coach. Keep windows covered with blinds / shades. If 85 inside the coach gets uncomfortable, go outside in 115-120 for a few minutes. 85 is great after that. Point is, as you become acclimated to the extreme AZ heat, your comfort zone may rise a bit.

I was extremely frustrated with my coach’s ability to keep cool. My coach had basement AC units which on paper should do the job, but with a 4 slide coach, the vent pipes from the basement to the living areas are too long and small to be efficient. So....here are the things I did to improve the situation. (Now, I rarely if ever have a problem staying cool)

1. Added Magneshades to the front and driver and co-pilot windows. https://magneshade.com
2. Added a single roof air right above the galley. (Newell did this)
3. Converted my AC filters to cleanable & easily removable media. (Allows for cleaning more often)
4. Replaced blinds with new dual day-night roller blinds. http://mcdinnovations.com
5. Verified by looking at amp draws on basement ACs that they were working properly. (This does not apply to roof AC units) 11-14 amps per http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4289
6. Cleaned the coils on basement units.

One final thought....Newell coaches are built with ton’s of insulation. They have great energy efficient windows, foam insulation in floor, ceiling and walls. But...over time, air gaps may develop. I recently had a slide bearing replaced and when the room was apart, it was clear that the insulation in the basement had been disturbed which gave an uninterrupted air flow between the outside and the inside. It would be interesting to borrow / buy one of those infrared camera things to see if you can find any cold spots on outside of coach or warm spots on inside of coach. (Newell also has a way of testing air infiltration but my coach has so many small gaps, it would never work...maybe on a newer coach?)

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

my biggest thing is to just not be in the coach in the az summer other than leaving and returning.

if you are coming with your coach for a few days, feel free to park it at one of my spots next to my shop and stay in my house.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

All,
Thank you for all of your responses. This information is very helpful.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242