You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main awning/Wind Sensor

My awning will not extend.  Unhooked wires at the switch and still no action.  Threw the awning breaker, waited 30 seconds and no change.  A while later the awning was fully extended.   So, motor works!  I had to hand crank it back in.  I suspect there is something going on with the wind sensor.  Does anyone have any ideas in this??
My coach is #646, an 03.  Thanks for any help!!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Since the wind sensor is only involved in bringing the awning in, I suspect  your control box may be failing.  I would call the awning manufacturer, which I suspect is Girard but not stated, for tech support.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Just quickly Steve or anyone else, where is the control box located and would that be an easy enough replacement for a novice.  Also, does anyone know if Girard is likely to be at the Gillette FMCA Rally since we will be there?  I will ask them as well when I call this morning.  Thanks again!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

I can only tell you where mine is.  I have a mid entry coach and it is inside the door by the entry steps on the kitchen side.  It is a white box that is approx. 4" X 6" with wires going in the top.

Do you have the manuals for the awning?  If not try here....................  The manual explains how the internal circuit breaker works.  "Awnings are designed for intermittent use and may cut out temporarily if it has overheated. When this occurs sufficient time must be allowed for the motor to cool so that the internal circuit breaker can reset. This may take up to an hour depending on the outside temperature."

https://www.girardrv.com/collections/product-manuals

http://docs.renegaderv.com/Girard%20Prod...CK-33B.pdf  My box looks similar to the one pictured.

Good luck & let us know the solution.

Remember "no two Newells are the same" In the future when you post include the manufacturer & model number of the product you are asking about if possible.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(07-06-2018, 06:33 AM)rheavn Wrote:  I can only tell you where mine is.  I have a mid entry coach and it is inside the door by the entry steps on the kitchen side.  It is a white box that is approx. 4" X 6" with wires going in the top.

Do you have the manuals for the awning?  If not try here....................  The manual explains how the internal circuit breaker works.  "Awnings are designed for intermittent use and may cut out temporarily if it has overheated. When this occurs sufficient time must be allowed for the motor to cool so that the internal circuit breaker can reset. This may take up to an hour depending on the outside temperature."

https://www.girardrv.com/collections/product-manuals

http://docs.renegaderv.com/Girard%20Prod...CK-33B.pdf  My box looks similar to the one pictured.

Good luck & let us know the solution.

Remember "no two Newells are the same"  In the future when you post include the manufacturer & model number of the product you are asking about if possible.

I have the mid-entry Girard G-2000 model Steve. I'll go on the hunt here and hope there is a reset in the control box that I can get to. We'll see!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

It's all printed circuitry in the control box and no obvious breaker.  I'll give Girard a call now.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Mine is over the right side window just in front of the side entry door . I just replaced my wind sensor and had it unhooked for a week while waiting on the new one and awning worked fine. If you reach up over the window the box should be in the upper valance.

Roger1 coach#588 2001 triple slide 45.8 

I remember the power is 120VAC and there is a relay adjacent the control box (on my 2000) operated by the ignition circuit.  If ignition is on, the awning will not move.  There is a possibility the relay has a inoperative contact.  

I found this out while adjusting the wind speed and my arm touched the open connections of the relay.  The relay is a Bosch or Hella cube with a 12VDC coil.  I have found these relays don't do well handling 120v circuits.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

What did Girard say.................................    

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(07-10-2018, 01:02 PM)rheavn Wrote:  What did Girard say.................................

I had them take a look in Gillette and they thought it was the control box.  It had come out on its own a couple times while I was parked.  Disconnect the power inside the box after that experience!  Somfy, the manufacturer,  was no help at all as they don't make that model anymore.  I found one at RVaccessories in Ky.  Now interestingly, it came today, two of them wired together and with two voltage control boxes also wired in.  Now I'm really puzzled by that setup.   I thought I was only going to be wiring g one box.  Any ideas?

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)