You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Another question or two

Those of you who know me from other forums know that I ask lots of questions. I've learned a lot, thanks to the generosity of lots of people who freely share their accumulated wisdom.

I've always admired 'Birds because of their roll cage construction. While rolling any coach is not recommended, 'Birds seem to survive the event considerably better than most others. How does Newell construction compare to that of a 'Bird? I'm most interested in the WB Classics here.

Second question. I haven't seen much discussion about seams or screw holes leaking. I know that keeping up with caulking is simply good maintenance, but some coaches seem to have more troubles than others, possibly due to design and/or construction. What's the roof like on the WB Classics?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

Hi David,
I've seen pics of Newells rolled unto their side. They held together well and in one case was later driven after fluids were renewed. Roof rivets are rarely a problem. Sidewall rivets on older models occaisionally may need replacement depending upon the amount of temperature extremes and torsional stresses the Motorhome has experienced. Visit
http://www.newellcoach.com/features/construction/

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

David,

Since the house portion of the Newell is built with aircraft grade aluminum and the chassis is built using steel, the majority of the weight of the coach is below the floor level. This results in a lower center of gravity for the coach and makes it less likely to "roll". I believe that around 2/3 of the weight is below the floor level.

I have had 3 Newells ('87, '93, & '99). No roof leaks!Smile

Just for the record, I really like Bluebirds too!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Never had to caulk anything on the Newell....on our previous Fleetwood Tioga Class C I had to caulk on regular basis. I have to replace a few rivets every year on the sides, but not many.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com