You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights

I have also experienced issues with the area around some truck scales not being level and messing up the weights. The best way to get wheel weights is to find someone with portable truck scales so you can find a level spot and drive up on the individual scales. Newell has that type of scales and I found a man in Kerrville, TX that would come to your site and bring his scales. At regular truck stop scales such as CAT scales at Pilot/Flying J, the best I was able to do was get the tag axle and drive axle combined and the front axle separate by asking for a split weight. I found some moving company scales would allow me to do what you did but the area around the scale was not flat since they always expected the entire truck/trailer to be on the scale at one time so the measurements were not repeatable.

The 17,000 tag weight is high even assuming you have a 63,300 GVWR. The axle weight ratings for the 63,300 coaches are 20,000 front, 28,000 drive and 16,000 tag.

Not sure how the ZF suspension tag switch functions. Prior to the ZF suspension, Newell used first a switch that dumped the tag, then in later years a switch that either removed pressure from the tag or ADDED pressure to the tag to decrease weight on the DRIVE AXLE. Decreasing weight on the DRIVE axle would be consistent with what you were seeing.

IF the weights were in the ballpark, the front looks like it is close to the weight limit, the tag over the rated capacity with extra capacity remaining on the drive axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Messages In This Thread
Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights - by DK on the road - 09-23-2018, 11:05 AM
RE: Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights - by kyleb - 09-23-2018, 12:43 PM
RE: Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights - by Fulltiming - 09-23-2018, 01:27 PM
RE: Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights - by Doug Musick - 11-08-2018, 08:14 AM
RE: Tag axle switch confusion and axle weights - by Kreavet - 11-12-2022, 10:34 AM