You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Access to Slide Seal Leak

I admit I haven't read every existing post on this fertile subject but will share my question anyhow.    I can hear a leak - it's at the rear slide seal where it splits under the slide - clearly audible from the outside.    Can anyone tell me what I need to take apart to get to these components?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

K[quote='cknuth' pid='38781' dateline='1540065292']
I admit I haven't read every existing post on this fertile subject but will share my question anyhow.    I can hear a leak - it's at the rear slide seal where it splits under the slide - clearly audible from the outside.    Can anyone tell me what I need to take apart to get to these components?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck,

I heard the same air leak noise when i walked past my rear left slide last week. To get to it there is a panel under the bed held down by screws and the 12 volt lift for the bed base. Removed the panel and their was the 12v valve, regulator & turn off valve that goes to the air seal and the air leak noise. When i put air leak finder on this assy. very little air was coming out around the valve stem. Thought i would just replace the valve......"wrong".
Turned the valve off and the noise stopped. Now i believe their is a big leak in the air seal that go"s around the slide out. LOOKING FOR SOME PLACE TO REPLACE THE SEAL.

Mark    

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

something simple to check for.....

in the rear wheelwell in between the tires you will see a rubber hose about the size of a pencil coming through the floor. that is the hose coming directly off the slide seal. it joins either another rubber hose or a piece of 1/4" brake tubing that runs up to the regulator you have inside under the bed.

sometimes it leaks right at that joint. it will have small hose clamps on it. or you can spray some bubbles right there at the hose.

you might get lucky. another way to simply test just the air seal is to take apart that air connection (either plug or turn off the line coming to the seal), and hook up a 20 psi source directly to the air seal. but be careful to not put high pressure into it or you will explode it. i took a small regulator and made one that regulated my shop air down to 20psi with a ball valve and tested my seal directly.

you can then eliminate everything else but the air seal.

just a thought.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

In case you are not lucky and it's the seal.........

If you are determined and "handy" you can replace a rear bedroom seal yourself. I have done it. It does not require a table to support the slide like the front slide needs. The rear slide is actually pulled back into the coach enough to reveal the seal. The job is a bit more difficult since Newell no longer carries a seal that fits the rear opening. You have to purchase a front seal and cut it and then seal the ends at the mid-point on the bottom. It's a bit of a pain, but so is driving to Miami from far away :-)
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I have stuck my head into the hatch under the bed. The hissing is coming from the side of the coach, not from anything under the bed. And none of the hoses or connectors in the wheel well are leaking. The action seems to be coming from the forward branch of the seal, right where it splits. Can't see the bubbles - maybe behind the sheet metal. But prodding the seal affects the sound, so I'm pretty close to the problem. Is there a connector right at the seal Y, or does it incorporate a hose from elsewhere? What do you have to disassemble to get to this area? The long piece of horizontal trim is the only thing that appears removable.

Thanks!

Just went back under the bed to be sure I hadn't missed anything. My coach doesn't seem to have the slide seal regulator and valve under the floor of the storage. Did they put them somewhere else on some coaches - like one of the bays? This is puzzling as all the posts I've found about the rear seal refer to the regulator and valve under the bed.

#530 has them under the floor under the bed. But, all Newells are different :-) I know this is not much help, but maybe someone with a coach made after yours will chime in. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I have heard of some being in the skinny compartment behind the tag wheel on the left side.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

That’s where mine are. (Right behind tag)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bingo! I had dismissed the valve in that compartment because the lines were black, not blue. Pressure gauge showing 17 psi, valve and regulator - now I get it. When turned off, the leak stops. Pretty sure it's the seal now. Will be moving the coach to Phoenix in a couple of weeks and will pursue a correct fix then. Thanks everyone for your help.