You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1987 High Temp Shutdown Wiring

The mechanic who is working on my 1987 8V92 (mechanical) said that the high temp shutdown switch is not working and asked if I could get a schematic of the wiring for this bus.  I laughed.  Does anyone know how the high temp shutdown is wired in Newells of this period?

(10-29-2018, 05:30 AM)dkarb Wrote:  The mechanic who is working on my 1987 8V92 (mechanical) said that the high temp shutdown switch is not working and asked if I could get a schematic of the wiring for this bus.  I laughed.  Does anyone know how the high temp shutdown is wired in Newells of this period?

I have an 1988 so it should be pretty close to yours, if you tell me what should I be looking for I can take pictures and send them your way, I can go to the coach later in the afternoon.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

(10-29-2018, 08:47 AM)Floridian Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 05:30 AM)dkarb Wrote:  The mechanic who is working on my 1987 8V92 (mechanical) said that the high temp shutdown switch is not working and asked if I could get a schematic of the wiring for this bus.  I laughed.  Does anyone know how the high temp shutdown is wired in Newells of this period?

I have an 1988 so it should be pretty close to yours, if you tell me what should I be looking for I can take pictures and send them your way, I can go to the coach later in the afternoon.

Thanks for the offer but I think what he wants to know is where all the wiring goes to and comes from through the coach related to the switch.  But I would be curious to know if you have a warning light that comes on prior to the temp that yours shuts down and is there any override switch on yours to allow you to get off the road if it does shut down?

Thanks for the offer but I think what he wants to know is where all the wiring goes to and comes from through the coach related to the switch.  But I would be curious to know if you have a warning light that comes on prior to the temp that yours shuts down and is there any override switch on yours to allow you to get off the road if it does shut down?

I've never seen the light come on but it is there and I also do have the override switch as well. I always wondered how to test this circuit without actually running my engine close to dangerous temperatures.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Oh, I also have the dashboard completely disassembled so if you want to know the cable color behind that light/switch let me know.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Pre alarm and shutdowns are usually two switches however, they can be in the same package.  If they are, there would be three or four terminals.   Three if the commons are tied together and four if not.  If four, then each switch has a pair of terminals.  Depends on who made the switch.

Prealarms would go directly to the dash for an indicator.  Shutdowns would tie into the engine safety circuit .   I’m sorry I cannot be more help with your engine wiring.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I'm just going to wait to fix it after I get the coach back to TX from PA and will watch the temps very carefully on the way.  All the advice is appreciated and I will use it to figure it out at home.

On my 83 Cummins, completely mechanical engine, the overheat and low oil pressure are connected together with the fuel shutdown solenoid. If I recall a keyed hot connects to oil pressure switch, is passed to the temperature switch and then to the fuel shutdown solenoid. If pressure is high enough power goes to temp switch, if temp is low enough power opens fuel solenoid. On my dash is a over ride switch that provides power to the fuel shutdown solenoid while cranking and building oil pressure.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR