You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant Filter Leak?

Good morning,

I’m chasing a engine coolant leak. 

I believe it might be coming from a recently changed coolant filter. The filter feels tight. Yesterday I’ve cleaned the area so I can see the slobbering coolant leak a little better. The coolant is hitting the case and drips and runs down on a oil pan mounting bolt area and then runs along the pan/block seam. 

Engine work (head removal) was completed last week which compounds the issue but I believe it is coming from or near the filter. 

The filter mount and supply/return hoses has shutoff valves for filter replacement.

My question:

For troubleshooting purposes can I temporarily shut off coolant flow to filter and run the engine for a short period of time?

If the coolant “slobbering” stops I’ll pull the filter and inspect the seal and mating surface. 

If that’s not it... I’ll keep digging. 

Help is appreciated!

Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Do not run the engine with the coolant filter remote mount valves shut off.  They are there so you can change the filter without taking a coolant shower.  The first thing I would do is dry everything around the valves and then see if they are leaking.  Second, the filters are cheap & I would change the filter as I made sure the mount was clean.  

Let us know what you find......................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I found a coolant pipe leaking at rubber hose connector above the filter. It had spring type clamp. I’ve added a band clamp. 

I won’t run with filter lines closed. I’m hoping I’ve solved the coolant leak. 

Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

I am with Steve. There are two little valves on top of the coolant filter housinf that you shut off when changing the filter. Many times a valve stem on the coolant system will
Weep when moved. Use white paper towels to find the leak. If it is one of the valve stems try tightening the packing gland nut

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Took the family for a drive. Coolant leak is solved!!
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Good job. You're going to be a great guru!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Coolant leak was on a connector with a spring clamp. I added SS compression clamp.

While I was at it I fixed a few wiring harnesses.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Hmmmmm. Thats the first time i have seen anything BUT constant tension clamps used.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I’m going to replace all of them. I’d like to figure out an easy way to remove the spring clamp without disassembling the coolant system.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

when i put new silicon hoses on, i used as many constant tension clamps as would fit. 3 in some places.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH