You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking at buying a Classic 1980 Newell coach in CA

Because of the year and has a Cummins it may be a 555, but I could be wrong. You will want to have all the fluids tested (oil, coolant and transmission) for both the Cummins and generator. These tests will tell you the condition of the most expensive systems in your coach (engine, transmission and cooling). Once the tests are done (does not take long) and if you decide to proceed you will probably have to replace the tires, change the oil, coolant, transmission fluid, and all the related filters. You will want to start the old girl up and see if it will build air pressure, and then hold the air pressure. You may have to replace one, or both 'six packs' in the air ride/leveling system if there are leaks. You probably have water damage around to the sub flooring around the shower since there is obvious water damage. This can be repaired with a little elbow grease. You will want to turn on the absorption fridge to see if it works. They take a while to begin cooling, but within 30-40 minutes you should be able to open the freezer and the interior should feel quite cold to the touch if it is working. Unless it was replaced in the last few years, you will probably need to source a replacement eventually. These are just a few of the things that come to my mind. I'm sure others will be able to add a few things I have neglected to mention, but these are the most important in my mind.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread